• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to send my child to school at age 3 when I was unaware she was registered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnYagerIV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Me and my daughter's mother are separated. There are no legal custody arrangements only verbal agreement on our days. Her mother registered her to begin school at Bridgeport Elementary which is 45 minutes away from my house on the days I have her. I was uninformed until after she was registered. She is only 3, birthday in February, which means she'll be attending 2 years of preschool. She does not have a learning disorder, a speech impediment, trouble with other kids, and I would much rather wait one more year before starting her in school because she is diabetic and the fact she does not even slightly know how to use her insulin pump concerns me. My question is, do I have to send her because she is already registered and if she is required to attend school can I simply transfer her school's to one closer to home?

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Me and my daughter's mother are separated. There are no legal custody arrangements only verbal agreement on our days. Her mother registered her to begin school at Bridgeport Elementary which is 45 minutes away from my house on the days I have her. I was uninformed until after she was registered. She is only 3, birthday in February, which means she'll be attending 2 years of preschool. She does not have a learning disorder, a speech impediment, trouble with other kids, and I would much rather wait one more year before starting her in school because she is diabetic and the fact she does not even slightly know how to use her insulin pump concerns me. My question is, do I have to send her because she is already registered and if she is required to attend school can I simply transfer her school's to one closer to home?
Just so Mom can transfer her back? You do realize how that will look to a judge; you and Mom playing tug'o'war with Princess. :cool:

Last edited:

CdwJava

Sounds like it just might be time to actually go GET those custody and visitation orders. This has "disaster" written all over it. If you two are already squabbling over pre-school, just wait until it comes to things like tumbling, dance class, real school, hair styles, clothing, etc.

Time to get the rights and responsibilities set in stone for BOTH of your protections. And, most importantly, to keep your daughter from being a pawn between bickering parents any more than she probably will be.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Were you and the child's mother married? In addition should we assume this is in Belmont county Ohio?

JohnYagerIV

Just so Mom can transfer her back? You do realize how that will look to a judge; you and Mom playing tug'o'war with Princess. :cool:
That thought did cross my mind, that is why I do not know what to do. I plan on going for custody but I am currently working on the house I am moving into with my fiancé. We should be moved in by the end of the year then custody was our next step. I just didn't know if my only option was to just suck it up and deal with it for the time being or if there is anything I can really do about it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That thought did cross my mind, that is why I do not know what to do. I plan on going for custody but I am currently working on the house I am moving into with my fiancé. We should be moved in by the end of the year then custody was our next step. I just didn't know if my only option was to just suck it up and deal with it for the time being or if there is anything I can really do about it.

Until you go to court, YOU have no input. You need to file in St. Clairsville and have orders set for shared parenting (which is the presumption in Ohio -- enter a shared parenting plan proposal). You need to suck it up and deal with it for now.

CSO286

What's your priority? Your child or your girlfriend and working on a house?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Right now (based on the information provided), Mom is the only one who can make decisions for her child.

Have you (legally) established paternity?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">