• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen to enroll a Non-academic/after regular school School?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

damiam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I'm under 18 and living in MA with my family. We came here with legal visa and immigration status is pending already. I go to regular private school and none of the document or our status is being questioned so far. There was a tax issue during immigration review but I'm not sure about the details; however, I'm very certain that we are here in this country legally.

Today, I'm being forced to withdraw from my dance school because I'm not a U.S. citizen. The school simply sent us an email stating that all the students have either be a citizen here or have M1 visa granted from the school, and because of that, I'm, from today, banned from taking any of my classes. On our registration form or any form from the school, it does not state this rule at all, also my nationality wasn't being asked. I have been taking classes (7 hours a week, and all after my regular academic school) in this dance school since September and it is until recently PTA meeting that the school discovered we do not have citizenship. Is this lawful? I'm tired of fighting with the school and want to change to a better environment but I still want to know more details if this is lawful or unlawful.

Thank you.

OHRoadwarrior

You have not explained the registered nature of the dance school. I see no reason why they must cater to illegals if they elect not to. You may have came here legal you have not claimed you are currently in legal status.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I'm under 18 and living in MA with my family. We came here with legal visa and immigration status is pending already. I go to regular private school and none of the document or our status is being questioned so far. There was a tax issue during immigration review but I'm not sure about the details; however, I'm very certain that we are here in this country legally.

Today, I'm being forced to withdraw from my dance school because I'm not a U.S. citizen. The school simply sent us an email stating that all the students have either be a citizen here or have M1 visa granted from the school, and because of that, I'm, from today, banned from taking any of my classes. On our registration form or any form from the school, it does not state this rule at all, also my nationality wasn't being asked. I have been taking classes (7 hours a week, and all after my regular academic school) in this dance school since September and it is until recently PTA meeting that the school discovered we do not have citizenship. Is this lawful? I'm tired of fighting with the school and want to change to a better environment but I still want to know more details if this is lawful or unlawful.

Thank you.

I'm asking this for a reason, okay?

Which visa did your family use to enter the US?

damiam

I'm asking this for a reason, okay?

Which visa did your family use to enter the US?
You have not explained the registered nature of the dance school. I see no reason why they must cater to illegals if they elect not to. You may have came here legal you have not claimed you are currently in legal status.
We used G4 when entering this country and the visa hasn't expired. I think I'm legal here. Also, the school didn't check the visa at all - they only said because I'm not a US citizen, I have to withdraw. All the saw is the front page and the page that has my photo. The registration was simply: only a page long with most basic questions, ex. your name, birthday, address and email. There is nothing about nationality and no one ever checks ID (both parents and students) when we register.

Proserpina

We used G4 when entering this country and the visa hasn't expired. I think I'm legal here. Also, the school didn't check the visa at all - they only said because I'm not a US citizen, I have to withdraw. All the saw is the front page and the page that has my photo. The registration was simply: only a page long with most basic questions, ex. your name, birthday, address and email. There is nothing about nationality and no one ever checks ID (both parents and students) when we register.

Then the school has done nothing wrong.

Vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program
requires you to have an M visa.

Sorry.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">