• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Educational Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMYM1472

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My family has recently moved into a new school district, and my 17 year old daughter is now having to attend a new school. How do I go about appointing a family member or friend as her educational guardian so that she may continue to attend the same school she was attending in the other district?

Perky

I've never heard of an "educational" guardian for residency. If this is a valid term, please clarify for me.

Otherwise, call the school district and ask about residency requirements, as requirements vary from district to district, state to state. Typically, the student must live within the district's boundaries. In some districts, a grandparent's residence may be used if the grandparent provides regular before and after school care. Other districts allow nonresidents to attend if tuition is paid. Some districts will require court-ordered guardianship if the child doesn't live with the parent. Others don't. You will have get clarification from the district.

Good Luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">