• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feeling Helpless.. Left without a degree. Feel wronged and something's unlawful

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amber11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I started at Hocking College when I was 23 years old, didn't know what I wanted to go for so I went a year undecided. After going through a rough separation with my husband and coming down with menengitis, and completely stopped going to school. About a year later I started back at Hocking and researched the programs they offered, and with the information provided off Hocking's website, I decided E-Commerce & Web Design would be a good choice, based on job availability and paygrade. The last quarter upon completing my degree I started searching for employment. To my surprise, there were no jobs with less than a Bachelors Degree, even though the whole way through my degree they talked of us working for companies, never once mentioned we'd need a bachelors. I was devastated.
Less than a month after I graduated I found out I was pregnant. I didn't want to continue to get a bachelors once I found out the only jobs available, even with a bachelors, were in Columbus (for me is an hour and a half drive,) So I started working at Aldi in Athens, Oh. (They hired me knowing I was pregnant). After my son, Cole, was born, I decided I needed to further my education. Many people suggested I should apply back at Hocking for my second Associates degree in Physical Therapy (I would have job security and a decent salary). I applied, was accepted, submitted my fasfa and was approved for financial aid, everything was in order, gave my notice to Aldi, and out of no where found out my financial aid through Hocking had been denied. Everyone I'd talked to told me I should be fine going for a second associates so I didn't understand what the issue was... I went in to Hocking to speak with the woman who denied my financial aid (Denene Merchant) and she told me she didn't feel I would be able to complete the program in the allotted amount of time financial aid/student loans would allow me to including the 2-3 year wait list involved for clinicals. She requested Bonnie Allen Smith (the dean of Allied Health) to submit to her the amount of time it would take me to complete the degree. After receiving the information Bonnie Allen Smith sent to her, she approved my application. I went to speak with Denene Merchant again and asked her if in fact I would be able to complete the degree in time, and she said yes, as long as I passes my classes.
Three weeks into PTA, I realized it wasn't at all for me. I originally wanted to go into natural resources but had been discouraged by others saying it was difficult to get a job locally. After talking it over with my significant other, he and I decided I should transfer and take the risk, so I went to the natural resources building and explained my situation, and Ken Temple spent the entire day helping me figure out classes I could still get into and catch up on the curriculum. When I went to Admission Processing to switch from PTA classes into Natural Resources I asked if it would create an issue with my financial aid in doing so, and they said no, not as long as you pass your classes and can catch up as needed..
Life was good. I felt I was on the right track for once. This past year has been wonderful. I enjoyed my classes and haven't had any problems. I passed the first semester with all A's and one D (in psychology), and completed this last semester on the Deans List with all A's and one B. I enrolled for summer semester into an internship here at Burr Oak State Park and was loving life. A couple weeks into my internship I find out my financial aid wasn't available. After meeting with a woman named Kelly from financial aid, and her speaking with Denene Merchant, she informed me that Denene said to tell me that changing my degree was the cause of them denying my financial aid. I didn't understand. My first experience with Denene was unpleasant. She acted like I was a burden, was very impolite, and unkind. I felt her denying me was a result of our first experience. I was told by other faculty members she was always rude and simply not a nice lady... I went to talk with Denene to find out what the cause of the denial was, but she said she was busy, I knew the ladies that worked in the Presidents Office so I went to explain my situation to her (Anita Wisenbach). I explained the situation and of course started crying, and she said that Denene was going to make time. We walked to her office and Anita asked politely to make time to speak with me and Denenes response was that she had to get the paperwork in, that some students didn't know if they'd be going to school tomorrow. (I thought, am I not a student too? and I don't know if I'm going to school tomorrow...) At that point Anita made an appointment with Carl Bridges over Provost. In our meeting he explained that it was correct. That switching my degree the credits I dropped counted against me. Even though I was told by Admissions that it wouldn't be an issue. Now I'm left with one degree I can't use, and half another one.. ??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for sharing. Perhaps you need to take on a job to pay for your schooling...

Amber11

Thank you for sharing. Perhaps you need to take on a job to pay for your schooling...
I've been working the entire time I've been in school. This past year, having a son at 14 months old, I've worked the maximum hours allowed at the college (15) and another 6 hours at a local furniture store at almost $22 an hour one day a week. I have a family and a son to provide for, I'm not able to live on pennies in this case. We've been living cheap, but without student loans or financial aid it's impossible. I can't afford tuition on top of bills. Even with me working full-time at the moment it's tight. I can't get a position with anything I've gone to school with... Thank you for your advice

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I've been working the entire time I've been in school. This past year, having a son at 14 months old, I've worked the maximum hours allowed at the college (15) and another 6 hours at a local furniture store at almost $22 an hour one day a week. I have a family and a son to provide for, I'm not able to live on pennies in this case. We've been living cheap, but without student loans or financial aid it's impossible. I can't afford tuition on top of bills. Even with me working full-time at the moment it's tight. I can't get a position with anything I've gone to school with... Thank you for your advice
Student loans may not be available for a SECOND associates degree. Part of your problem is you chose to go to Hocking.

What responsibility do you believe is yours for this mess?

Amber11

More to the point, who do you believe is at fault and why?
My issue is I was originally denied going because she didn't feel I'd be able to complete it, turned around and approved it and when I asked if she felt now that I would infact be able to complete the degree in the allotted time, she said yes, as long as I passed my classes. I wouldn't have made the decision to go back to school if I'd known. I understand that even education has become a business.. I feel it's my fault that I wasn't educated enough to make a wise decision. I felt I was bettering myself and my future. I didn't have direction, my father is and has always been a carpenter and he's not well educated. . I just feel I shouldn't have been told I would be able to complete the degree if I couldn't, be allowed to go for a year without knowing and all the sudden come to a halt... I just feel colleges should be found on educating and leading students into a direction that will benefit them, not hurt them. It seems it's only about getting people in the door. . I don't know. The thought of this consumes my every day. I don't expect anyone to understand, and maybe it's simply suppose to be chalked up to me making decisions based on ignorance. Seems everyone who's commented felt that way. Thanks

Amber11

More to the point, who do you believe is at fault and why?
And it's not just that. When I started school I was told it would only be $50 a month payments, low interest rates, and the entire time I was in school the instructors talked of us working for a company but never mentioned we would have to go for a bachelors, never said we would have to relocate even with a bachelors (which is out of the question with our situation, absolutely can't relocate).. Recently I got a statement from the loan company that says I'm accruing $200 in interest a month...! How can any student pay off that kind of interest? .. I know it's not just me, but I've spent days and days crying over this, I'm trying to move on, but I feel wronged. Why would they let me go back if they knew I couldn't complete the degree and knew I couldn't afford to pay it on my own? And why tell me it would all be okay to transfer degrees if it wouldn't? It set me back a year, cost me a significant increase in debt, and leaves me with an overwhelming sense of failure.. Ultimately I'm to blame, I wish I'd been educated enough to know, or even ask, but I didn't know to, and it all sounded too good. I simply thought I was making a better future for myself and my family. . You have to sign your life away for a house, go through credit checks and much more, but they allow uneducated people to sign a paper and get unlimited loans with no direction to ensure its a safe bet, or a good and sound life decision that will benefit both ends. I just wish people cared a little more, especially in a role that impacts lives so intensely...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">