• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fees for online classes when medically can't attend in person?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katimichelle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am in Missouri, US, and was wondering if it is legal for a public, publicly-funded college to charge extra for tuition for online classes when a student cannot attend physical, on-campus classes because of a disability.

I know that the ADA prohibits general discrimination and denials of access, and that title II of the ADA in particular includes public universities and community colleges, and that furthermore post-secondary schools cannot legally charge for accommodation, but I'm not sure if online classes constitute an "accommodation".

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHRoadwarrior

i don't think they are charging you extra. I think they are charging you their standard rate. You seem to feel they should give you a discount. Online classes actually cost significantly less. You do not have all the associated transportation costs.

ecmst12

If they charge EVERYONE more for online classes, of course that is legal. They don't have to give you a discount because you are disabled.

katimichelle

by "standard rate" do you mean standard tuition? because it is standard tuition, but with an addition fee per class if the class is online. tuition rates for the two kind of classes are the same per hour, it's just the fee that i'm curious about.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am in Missouri, US, and was wondering if it is legal for a public, publicly-funded college to charge extra for tuition for online classes when a student cannot attend physical, on-campus classes because of a disability.
?
what disability would prevent you from actually attending?

Humusluvr

by "standard rate" do you mean standard tuition? because it is standard tuition, but with an addition fee per class if the class is online. tuition rates for the two kind of classes are the same per hour, it's just the fee that i'm curious about.
If they only charged you, because you are disabled, then that would be discrimination.

If they charge everyone the fee, because they use different resources or technology for online courses, then it's not discrimination.

Universities can charge fees for whatever they want. A university near me is in the news because they charge everyone a "new building fee." They are charging every student for the school's construction of new buildings. Even the online courses have the fee. The students are mad. But they are still paying it. The way to get past a fee is not to attend the university or course with the fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">