• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Field Trip policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Refusaltrip

Recently, I refused to go on a field trip in the State of New York. The trip was to the basement of a church and was supposedly part of the French class curriculum. The religious issue here is not my concern. I refused to go on the trip because I felt it was unacceptable to miss important classes in other subjects for a French trip to a church basement. While my parents did not fully agree with my decision, they agreed to not sign the permission slip. The day came and I was not in attendance. I was later informed that I would lose some sort of credit for not attending. I feel that this is unfair and am pretty sure that some state law exists prohibiting this action but am unable to find it. Cam anybody think of any way to help???

Thanks
- SB

CdwJava

While you can likely opt out of the field trip, you cannot opt out of going to school. The way it usually works is that they find other assignments for you those days. Where I work, the students either join another class or have to study in the library working on a project related to the field trip.

- Carl

stevek3

Refusaltrip said:
Recently, I refused to go on a field trip in the State of New York. The trip was to the basement of a church and was supposedly part of the French class curriculum. The religious issue here is not my concern. I refused to go on the trip because I felt it was unacceptable to miss important classes in other subjects for a French trip to a church basement. While my parents did not fully agree with my decision, they agreed to not sign the permission slip. The day came and I was not in attendance. I was later informed that I would lose some sort of credit for not attending. I feel that this is unfair and am pretty sure that some state law exists prohibiting this action but am unable to find it. Cam anybody think of any way to help???

Thanks
- SB
A field trip to a church basement? Do they have educational ping-pong tables down there, or what?

enjay

Really. Why don't you tell us exactly what was in the church basement? I'm guessing art work or manuscripts, right? You missed something that the teacher felt was appropriate and necessary for her class. If you chose to miss a homework assignment because you felt it was unnecessary, you would lose credit. Same thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">