• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a Deferred Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madeepie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello, I have had a deferred suspension sanction imposed on me by my university after the following case:

I deleted my files on my student work computer at the end of my work study job. These were draft files that I would work on before sending a final document to my boss. I have kept all these emails and therefore the files. I cleared the files because they seemed pointless, since my boss had the final copy and many were drafts. My homework files were also mixed in, so I just figured it would be easiest and best to delete them. My boss, who seemed to have it out for me after her dad passed away, reported me to my student judicial affairs committee for the following offenses:

11.19.B Misuse of university computer systems or access to those systems as articulated by the university's Computing Policies (including improper downloading of material, see Section F.1. Computing).

11.31.A Dishonesty, such as furnishing false information to any university official, faculty member or office. This includes, but is not limited to, furnishing false information in academic petitions or requests, financial aid documents, student employment documents, financial statements or other documents or intentionally evading university officials and/or obligations to the university.

11.33.A Unauthorized entry, presence in or use of university premises, facilities or property.

11.37 Destroying, damaging or defacing the property of others, whether in the university community or at university-sponsored activities.

11.38 Behavior which disrupts or interferes with normal university or university-sponsored activities, including, but not limited to, study, teaching, research, officially invited speakers, university administration, public safety, or fire, police or emergency services or other authorized activity. (Also see Part D. Free Expression and Dissent.)

I met with my student judicial affairs officer on February 29th to offer a full rebuttal, which included the following paragraph:
On my last day at the job, I cleared the files because I thought it would be beneficial to not have pointless files that had already been sent to [my boss] (which I have kept every single email with those attachments, so they are not permanently gone anyway). I did not think that the files were only located on my computer, because every day I sent my files over to [my boss], and she also gave me a USB to put them on. In addition, there were times during my job where I told [my boss] that I had deleted files and she was fine with it. Also, my personal academic files were on the computer from when I had time to work on my homework. I thought it would be best just to give the next student worker a clean slate away from the clutter of files.

I just now received my sanction, a full seven months later. It is very suspicious to me because exactly a week ago, I met with the Officer of the department to discuss a man battering me (she made it seem like it was my fault because it was guys fighting over a girl and in addition there have been many controversial cases with this woman as the officer of the department). I had not heard anything from my affairs officer until now, and at my meeting in February he told me the decision would be around a month.

Do I have any legal chance fighting this? I have the right to appeal within 10 business days, but my boss will be given the opportunity to respond in writing to the appeal. I will not be able to study abroad with a deferred suspension and I have been looking into education lawyers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">