• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial aid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mareda

I was a student at Miami Dade College in 2007-2008. I received grant funds for financial aid to pay for classes. after speaking with a counselor I submitted my military smart transcript hoping it would provide me with enough credits for graduation. My smart transcripts provided me with more than enough credits however, shortly after I was notified by the college that I had been placed in the "SOAP" (Standards of Academic Progress) program for an over credit situation which caused my financial aid eligibility to be resented. The college demands that I refund around $1500.00. I have tried to fix the situation by speaking with several deans who all refer me to the financial aid director who hasn't answered any of my emails, phone calls and messages. Can I sue them?

Mass_Shyster

I was a student at Miami Dade College in 2007-2008. I received grant funds for financial aid to pay for classes. after speaking with a counselor I submitted my military smart transcript hoping it would provide me with enough credits for graduation. My smart transcripts provided me with more than enough credits however, shortly after I was notified by the college that I had been placed in the "SOAP" (Standards of Academic Progress) program for an over credit situation which caused my financial aid eligibility to be resented. The college demands that I refund around $1500.00. I have tried to fix the situation by speaking with several deans who all refer me to the financial aid director who hasn't answered any of my emails, phone calls and messages. Can I sue them?
Stop calling and sending emails, and start using the US Postal service.

Humusluvr

What grant funds did you use?

Emails and phone calls are easy to ignore. As the previous senior suggested, try registered mail, return receipt requested. Or, GO THERE. Standing in front of them, with all your supporting documentation, is very helpful in expediting the process.

csi7

I agree. Certified return receipt mail is a great equalizer in communication with people who do not respond to emails or telephone calls.

You also have two other options to help with your situation. Reporting this complaint to the local veteran's resource group will also give you some positive direction. You can also file a complaint with the congressional representatives, both state, and federal, both representatives and senate, for help as well.

I would have all the information of times, people contacted, numbers, and put that in a timeline to show your efforts to resolve this matter.

ecmst12

If you received aid money that was not needed or that you did not qualify for because you were not signed up for enough credits, then of course you will have to pay that money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">