• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Aid Mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blacktkdeagles

I was deficient credits Spring 2010 and was told to make up the deficiency during the next year. Fall 2010 I was able to make it up, but Spring 2011 I fell deficient again. I thought I would be fine because I had made up the missing credits in Fall. There were no consecutive deficient semesters. In Aug 2011 I was told to meet with my advisor to make a plan to continue receiving aid. One day before the school was to deregister me, I was told that I was ineligible for aid because of my Spring 2011 deficiency. I asked, why was I told to make a plan to receive aid in Aug 2011, If I had already been deemed ineligible from the spring. They said that the email was erroneously sent. They also said to go to community college to make up the deficiency. All this time, I could have been looking for a private loan instead of financial aid. I am going to be deregistered from my courses, it is too late to apply for a private loan now, and it is too late to register for another university. What actions can I take against the university and what steps should I take?

OHRoadwarrior

Ultimately it is your responsibility to meet the criteria for financial aid. Specifying the type of financial aid you received may give a better response.

blacktkdeagles

They're both federal and state loans. If financial aid knew from the Spring semester that I was ineligible, their was no reason for them to make me develop a plan to receive aid in August. They didn't even make an effort to contact me about the denial. I went in to the office to confirm my attendance, only to find that my financial aid had been denied, and that I was ineligible from the Spring semester.

ecmst12

Eligibility guidelines for financial aid are public information and easily available. You absolutely should have been aware of them and made sure you met the criteria.

Humusluvr

I was deficient credits Spring 2010 and was told to make up the deficiency during the next year. Fall 2010 I was able to make it up, but Spring 2011 I fell deficient again. I thought I would be fine because I had made up the missing credits in Fall. There were no consecutive deficient semesters. In Aug 2011 I was told to meet with my advisor to make a plan to continue receiving aid. One day before the school was to deregister me, I was told that I was ineligible for aid because of my Spring 2011 deficiency. I asked, why was I told to make a plan to receive aid in Aug 2011, If I had already been deemed ineligible from the spring. They said that the email was erroneously sent. They also said to go to community college to make up the deficiency. All this time, I could have been looking for a private loan instead of financial aid. I am going to be deregistered from my courses, it is too late to apply for a private loan now, and it is too late to register for another university. What actions can I take against the university and what steps should I take?
Unfortunately, you don't have any legal options here.

You missed a deadline. At this point, it made you ineligible. The only person responsible for following all the rules and regulations for getting aide is ultimately you.

You will have to go with a private loan, or you'll have to get on a payment plan. Or you can sit out this semester, and start getting your financial and grade info corrected now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">