• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Aid Returned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jai87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? State is Georgia

I attended a university and my financial aid refund was $7,000. It was on the quarter system and I was taking one class that first part and two more classes the second part. My other two classes were dropped before they started and the school sent my financial aid back, making me owe the school $7,000. I was never informed of this, I only knew about it because I saw changes to my account. I have made several attempts to contact them and have been constantly referred to someone else. I have sent many emails and received no reply. But today I was given a summons to court by a law office representing the university. Now with fees, they say I owe $10,000. I am a student with no job, I do not get financial aid from my new school because I need my transcript from the former university which they wont send because I have a balance on my account. I have no idea what to do, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Update-Ok to let me clarify something, and thank you, ecmst12 for your response, at this school students may not register themselves for the first year. Everything done was through my adviser. She put me in these classes and then, as I found out after all of this happened, I didn't have the prerequisites for them and they were automatically dropped. She put me in them, she didn't mention any problems, I had my schedule, I thought everything was fine. I had no idea any of this was happening. As childish as it might seem, I dont see how any of that was my fault. Also, I would love to pay my bill, but with what money? Not releasing my transcript bars me from financial aid at any other institution and the term broke college student isn't just a saying.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Pay your bill. When you sign up for student loans, they tell you every little thing you need to know about them - including that if you fail to maintain the minimum number of credits, your aid will be rescinded. So there is no excuse for not knowing it was going to be taken back, no excuse for you spending the money you should have known you would not be able to keep, and DEFINITELY no excuse for not making payment arrangements as soon as you saw the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">