• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First amendment rights for students that are 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Copperymaster

Hello I was told to write a thesis statement for a grade in school upon turning my statement in he told me that I couldn't write it because of teen suicide rates. The thesis:"why life doesn't matter "

justalayman

Hello I was told to write a thesis statement for a grade in school upon turning my statement in he told me that I couldn't write it because of teen suicide rates. The thesis:"why life doesn't matter "
Not sure what you are looking for. This is not a first amendment issue. It's a matter of the teachers discretion of what he or she will accept as a basis for your thesis.

You can write about teen suicide all you wish. Just don't expect to get a passing grade if you use the topic for your thesis.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Perhaps you would benefit from a class discussing the First Amendment, what it is and when it does and doesn't come into play.

(hint: it doesn't apply here)

adjusterjack

Actually, it is a First Amendment issue because students do have First Amendment rights.

However, in this case it's not a violation of a student's First Amendment rights according to the US Supreme Court's decision in Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, 1988 where the Supreme Court ruled:

"educators do not offend the First Amendment by exercising editorial control over the style and content of student speech in school-sponsored expressive activities so long as their actions are reasonably related to legitimate pedagogical concerns."

Copperymaster

Re

I was told I could write my thesis on anything,but was denied the ability to write on that subject ? Or was that more of his personal belief denying me my rights of speech I don't see how teen suicide rates have to deal with pedological instructions

justalayman

I was told I could write my thesis on anything,but was denied the ability to write on that subject ? Or was that more of his personal belief denying me my rights of speech I don't see how teen suicide rates have to deal with pedological instructions
Ok. Let's go with that argument.

Constitutionally a teacher has a right to change their mind or amend their statement as
They choose.

Get over this. This is not a first amendment issue (regardless what adjusterjack wishes to state). If it was a first
Amendment rights issue, you would have recourse. What the courts said is the action did not violate the students first amendment rights when posed in that light. That means it is not a first amendment rights issue. It's like turning right but getting a ticket for turning left in violation of the posted sign. It's not a matter of violating the left turn law because it doesn't apply just as the first amendment doesn't apply here. It simply is not a first amendment issue.

adjusterjack

It's like turning right but getting a ticket for turning left in violation of the posted sign. It's not a matter of violating the left turn law because it doesn't apply
Poor analogy. That's a "traffic law" issue. Getting a ticket for the wrong offense gives you a defense against the ticket but it's still a "traffic law" issue.

The student's issue is still a first amendment issue, it's just an issue that he would not have any success in pursuing because of the Supreme Court's ruling.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This is the first amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

In lay terms: https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment

Teachers are allowed to make rules for their classroom.
Just like your math teacher can give you an assignment where you are required to use limits and the definition of the derivation to calculate derivatives, and give you a 0 for using canned algorithms instead.
You can appeal to your teacher's superior... who will likely side with the teacher, if it is perceived that the teacher is being fair. And yes, the teacher is being fair: you are being given a second chance. (Personally I would have rejected your thesis statement as vapid at best.)

This not at variance with the first amendment. This is a classroom rule, not a law that you would be violating. The consequences for you not following the teacher's directive is academic, not legally mandated.

justalayman

Poor analogy. That's a "traffic law" issue. Getting a ticket for the wrong offense gives you a defense against the ticket but it's still a "traffic law" issue.

The student's issue is still a first amendment issue, it's just an issue that he would not have any success in pursuing because of the Supreme Court's ruling.
It wouldn't prevail in court because it is not a violation of the ops first amendment rights. That means it is not a first amendment law isssue. It was believed to possibly be (hence the case you cited) but determined it was not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, it is a First Amendment issue because students do have First Amendment rights.

However, in this case it's not a violation of a student's First Amendment rights according to the US Supreme Court's decision in Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, 1988 where the Supreme Court ruled:
In other words, as was said above, this isn't a First Amendment question. There are no free speech rights being violated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The teacher doesn't want you writing your graded paper about that. It really is that simple.

quincy

Your topic sounds as if it could be an interesting one, Copperymaster.

If you are interested in exploring the subject and writing an essay, you are not prohibited from doing so. It has just been determined by your teacher that the subject you chose is not an appropriate or acceptable one for the assignment in your particular classroom or school.

But there are places other than school where you might find an outlet for your writing.

That said, school rules, and school disciplinary actions for violations of these rules, can extend beyond the classroom and school property to what students write online. You should become familiar with your school rules before publishing anything online or elsewhere that might violate these rules.

Here is a link to the First Amendment Center, the contents of which you might want to read through for a better understanding of the limits placed on your First Amendment rights while you are a student: http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/k-12-public-school-student-expression-overview/

CdwJava

Okay ... maybe it's the teacher in me, but ... how is, "Why life doesn't matter," a THESIS statement???

Here are some articles on how to construct a thesis statement:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01/ <-- The ULTIMATE source for all things related to papers!

http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/thesis-statements/

http://www.cws.illinois.edu/workshop/writers/tips/thesis/

I would have rejected your statement on its face as poor thesis statement to begin with. Depending upon your proposal for your paper, I might also have made you change your topic. As has been mentioned, the teacher does have the prerogative. It could be that the topic is not appropriate, it could be that it is sensitive for some reason and these papers will be passed on or read by other students, or it could be a subject area that the teacher simply does not want to deal with. The teacher could also reject papers espousing the benefits of Sharia law, Na zism, the virtues of Apartheid, or many other things that he or she feels is inappropriate. The teacher is given a great deal of leeway here.

Copperymaster, this is NOT an issue you are going to win. So, think up another topic and craft another thesis statement. One that actually *IS* a thesis statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">