• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreigner, need some help with college.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Satycorn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi everyone!
I have dreamed of studying abroad ever since I can remember, and recently luck knocked on my door, a very close relative of mine is willing to accommodate and provide the basic living needs (food, electricity, basically everything) for me, all I have to worry about is paying the tuition. She lives in Columbus, OH and she told me that I can get employed where she works, so that I can work on weekends and pay some of the cost.
However, I live in Southeast Europe and I am not sure how much do I have to pay for tuition each year. I plan to go to a community college and I am trying to calculate the approximate amount of money it's going to cost me each year, but there are some things that I need your help understanding. Here's the link of the site's calculator: http://www.cscc.edu/about/calculator.shtml

When completing the questionnaire, it asks:

Living arrangement:
1. Where do you plan to live while attending this institution?
[ ]Living on my own or with a roommate
[ ]Living with my parents or other family members

2.Residency:
[ ]Eligible for in-state tuition
[ ]Eligible for out-of-state tuition
The part in bold confuses me. I am not born in that state, obviously (I don't have neither a Green Card, nor a permanent Visa), but I WILL live with her. Which option should I choose? I will live in Ohio and I will proceed the studies to the aforementioned place, which is in the same state. Is this an in-state tuition or out-of-state tuition?

Next thing, that might sound dumb and sorry if it does-it says on the College's website that scholarships are offered as well, and being a really good student I want to make use of this. But since I'm applying for a financial aid, can I win a scholarship as well or not? How will the total price of the yearly tuition be reduced if I win both the scholarship and the financial aid?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At least for the first year, you will not qualify for in-state tuition. While you will be living in that state, you will not have lived there long enough to qualify as a state resident and you need to be a state resident to qualify for in-state tuition. Whether you will qualify after that will depend on factors we cannot assess from here, but at least at first, it will definitely be out of state tuition.

So you would answer #1 that you will be living with parents or other family members (other family members in your case) and you would answer #2 that you will be eligible for out of state tuition.

Satycorn

@cbg Thank you very much for the quick reply.
I understand.. But, does that mean that I'll have to receive a permanent resident visa to profit out of state tuition costs? That would be ridiculous.
Or do I get these rights quickly after a year of education and residency has passed for me? If so,when, after a year (like, immediately, the next year will have reduced prices)?

Another thing that I forgot to mention, on the next pages of the questionnaire, it says:

1. Number in Family:
How many people are in your family's household?
(Count yourself, your parent(s), and your parents' other children who are under the age of 24.)

[]Two
[]Three
[]Four
[]Five
[]Six or more

2. Number in College:
Of the number in your family above, how many will be in college next year?
(Count yourself and your siblings; do not count your parents.)

[]One child
[]Two children
[]Three or more children
So what I don't understand here -without looking like a total retard- am I being asked about the total number of family members in my biological family (where I currently live in this moment), or how many members will there be in the house that will accommodate me in the US?
Same goes with the second question. I have an brother who still goes to university and will go there for more than two years as well. Does that count, or do only children who will be in college IN the US count??

Thanks again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you contacted the registrar of the school and asked him these questions, what did he say?

PQN

@cbg Thank you very much for the quick reply.
I understand.. But, does that mean that I'll have to receive a permanent resident visa to profit out of state tuition costs? That would be ridiculous.
Or do I get these rights quickly after a year of education and residency has passed for me? If so,when, after a year (like, immediately, the next year will have reduced prices)?

Another thing that I forgot to mention, on the next pages of the questionnaire, it says:

So what I don't understand here -without looking like a total retard- am I being asked about the total number of family members in my biological family (where I currently live in this moment), or how many members will there be in the house that will accommodate me in the US?
Same goes with the second question. I have an brother who still goes to university and will go there for more than two years as well. Does that count, or do only children who will be in college IN the US count??

Thanks again.
Don't use the word 'retard' in that context. It is very offensive.

The Net Price Calculator does not help you because you would be classified as an international student. Expect to pay $4,000-$6,000 in tuition plus $500 or so on books. Unless you became a US resident, you would not qualify for in state tuition no matter how long you resided in Ohio.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/international-students.pdf

Satycorn

I didn't contact the school yet, I am still doing my research on where to proceed my studies.

PQN-Yes, I will be classified as an international student, but there's not way for me to be qualified as a US resident, is there??
Thanks for the document, I'll read it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I work for a major university in the Benefits office. We frequently get calls from employees who are also taking classes under the tuition assistance program and want help filling out the forms. Beyond the absolute basics, we have found that the registrar of the school or someone from his office is the only one who can really address these questions.

OHRoadwarrior

If you are planning on a student visa, you cannot legally work with your relative. You must have the tuition money up front. Illegally working will get you deported immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">