• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Student Transcript

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fronTRnnr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Can student correct whats in their student record such as student transcript if they are incorrect or incomplete and even if the school has closed ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Can student correct whats in their student record such as student transcript if they are incorrect or incomplete and even if the school has closed ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Realistically, if the school is no longer in business there is honestly no way to get anything corrected as far as a transcript is concerned, and in fact, there is no realistic way to even GET a transcript unless you already have one.

fronTRnnr

School Transcript

Well heres the story....I received an A.S. Degree from a technical college in San Jose, CA. in 1996. In 1997 I requested a copy of my transcript and I received and kept them ever since. Its 2 pages long. The transcript that they give me was a "student record" transcript and it showed all the units, grades, attendance and name of classes I took and it it indicated "graduated" on the status along with dates and official signatures. The school for reasons closed in 2001 and found out recently that my transcript ended up in the custody of the Bureau of Private Post Secondary Education (BPPE). The problem is the transcript that BPPE have is either incomplete or incorrect as they have a completely different transcript.

The one they have says I was on Leave of Absence and just showed only partial completion of the program. Its only 1 page as oppose to 2 pages. It doesn't show I graduated. It doesn't show all my classes that I completed and doesn't show my final grades. It seems they created 2 different record while I attended the school, one when I took a 2 month leave of absence ( from Day school ) and one when I continued but for the evening schedule. Although its incomplete or incorrect they have a copy of A.S. Degree Diploma

The real problem here is that whatever BPPE has in its file is considered an "Official Record " whether its incomplete or incorrect. This could cause real problems when someone is trying to verify my education because they would get an incomplete transcript or a transcript that doesn't show graduated but Leave of Absence. This would really be a problem if applying for jobs as they would always and surely verify all educational records.

My question is : Can I at least include a copy of my "student record" to be place alongside the BPPE file so it would be clear that I graduated from the program IF it cannot be corrected ? Is there any Govt or Education law that covers this kind of dilemma ? Any thoughts ? Advice ? Can somebody help ??

Humusluvr

Well heres the story....I received an A.S. Degree from a technical college in San Jose, CA. in 1996. In 1997 I requested a copy of my transcript and I received and kept them ever since. Its 2 pages long. The transcript that they give me was a "student record" transcript and it showed all the units, grades, attendance and name of classes I took and it it indicated "graduated" on the status along with dates and official signatures. The school for reasons closed in 2001 and found out recently that my transcript ended up in the custody of the Bureau of Private Post Secondary Education (BPPE). The problem is the transcript that BPPE have is either incomplete or incorrect as they have a completely different transcript.

The one they have says I was on Leave of Absence and just showed only partial completion of the program. Its only 1 page as oppose to 2 pages. It doesn't show I graduated. It doesn't show all my classes that I completed and doesn't show my final grades. It seems they created 2 different record while I attended the school, one when I took a 2 month leave of absence ( from Day school ) and one when I continued but for the evening schedule. Although its incomplete or incorrect they have a copy of A.S. Degree Diploma

The real problem here is that whatever BPPE has in its file is considered an "Official Record " whether its incomplete or incorrect. This could cause real problems when someone is trying to verify my education because they would get an incomplete transcript or a transcript that doesn't show graduated but Leave of Absence. This would really be a problem if applying for jobs as they would always and surely verify all educational records.

My question is : Can I at least include a copy of my "student record" to be place alongside the BPPE file so it would be clear that I graduated from the program IF it cannot be corrected ? Is there any Govt or Education law that covers this kind of dilemma ? Any thoughts ? Advice ? Can somebody help ??
Unless you're needing this to happen RIGHT NOW, because you're applying for a job, I wouldn't worry about it. Wait until you are offered a job, then explain. You have a copy, and if the school went out of business, you can explain how there comes to be two discrepant copies.

Otherwise, if you insist on getting the BPPE to correct the record, you're going to need to come up with additional paperwork.

And I wouldn't be so certain that an employer will verify your education. The only time I have ever had to get official transcripts sent from the school to my work is when I took my current job as a professor, and education is pretty important here.

fronTRnnr

School Transcript

What im concern about is that I am listing on my applications and on my resume that I have an A.S. Degree from the school and if my would be prospective employer decide to verify everything on my application or resume before hiring me one of the things he will surely see is an incorrect Official TRanscript. He wont know that its incorrect and may just assume that Im lying on my resume therefore I wont get selected. Thats my main concern.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Few employers are going to verify information before the point where they are prepared to make an offer. So, you will most likely have the opportunity to explain the situation before it ever gets to that point.

fronTRnnr

School Transcript

If few employers are doing that how come majority of every Job agency I apply for requires me to sign a background investigation form during the time Im applying ? This background investigation form includes investigation into your character, work history as well as the credit history as well as educational credentials.

All I want to know is is there any California Law or Federal Law that covers student records ? If not why not ?

Humusluvr

If few employers are doing that how come majority of every Job agency I apply for requires me to sign a background investigation form during the time Im applying ? This background investigation form includes investigation into your character, work history as well as the credit history as well as educational credentials.

All I want to know is is there any California Law or Federal Law that covers student records ? If not why not ?
If you have an AS Degree, why don't you have a diploma? That would show you really did complete the program.

Contact Us - Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

Enforcement Unit - To file a complaint against a school or to speak with an Enforcement Unit staff member, please call (888) 370-7589, press 3 when prompted.
Enforcement Chief - Karen Newquist
File a complaint. This is the governmental agency that would handle your complaint. Other than them, you don't really have other options if you don't have paperwork.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Because a smart employer will get the authorization right at the beginning so that they don't have to go chasing for it later. And a smart employer will get the same authorizations for all applicants for all positions so that they don't have to come back later for additional signatures.

Just because they HAVE the authorization doesn't guarantee they will USE it. I will always get every applicant to sign a broad authorization but I'll only use any part of it on three at the most per position. And what checks I'll make will be determined by the job; I won't check education on my receptionist but I will on my director of Research and Development.

fronTRnnr

Humusluvr

If you have an AS Degree, why don't you have a diploma? That would show you really did complete the program.

Contact Us - Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

Quote:
Enforcement Unit - To file a complaint against a school or to speak with an Enforcement Unit staff member, please call (888) 370-7589, press 3 when prompted.
Enforcement Chief - Karen Newquist
File a complaint. This is the governmental agency that would handle your complaint. Other than them, you don't really have other options if you don't have paperwork.

This is currently what I have in my possession: The school have been closed since 2001.

1. My copy of the Student Transcript - dated 1997 ( 6 months after graduation) complete with 2 pages, not 1 page

2. A sealed "Official Transcript" dated 1996 meant to be forwarded to a school I wanted to continue with but later changed my mind so I went ahead and opened it. When you open a sealed envelope with a transcript it becomes UN- Official but nevertheless a complete 2 page transcript similar to my copy of the Student Transcript.

2. A letter from that school dated 1999 stating that they made corrections to my transcript but not noting it specifically

3. My A.S. Degree Diploma from that school

4. My 2 year educational loan for that school

fronTRnnr

Cal Law for Student Records

You guys are lawyers, you should know if there is any California Law or Federal Law that covers or protect student records. So what law is there ? :D

OHRoadwarrior

You guys are lawyers, you should know if there is any California Law or Federal Law that covers or protect student records. So what law is there ? :D
We are not all lawyers, in fact, few here are. We are just worldly people. My degree is Accounting. Read the TOS for more info.

Humusluvr

There's no "law" per se. There is the BPPE to deal with matters like this. You can read their regulations as well as I can.

Did you file a complaint? Did you show them all the records you kept (which should adequately show that you completed the program, in my opinion).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">