• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

given incorrect information by school financial advisor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Student321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

My girlfriend's GPA dipped below the requirement for a Georgia specific scholarship program called HOPE at ~30 credit hours, making her ineligible to receive HOPE again until she could be reevaluated at 60 credit hours. when she transferred to a new school, she filled out the necessary forms from her school to be reevaluated, but she was told by the financial aid department that she was not eligible for reevaluation until the next semester, when if her GPA stayed the same she would receive HOPE again. When she went to be reevaluated for hope after the end of the semester, she was told that she was too late and now she will be unable to even be evaluated for a chance to get HOPE until she reaches 90 credit hours. If she cannot get this straightened out, and she does in fact lose eligibility for HOPE scholarship for 30 credit hours(and the last semester where she could have received scholarship money presumably) because of a school employee's incorrect information and denial of her request, does she have any legal recourse against the institution? She isn't looking for anything major, just for the money she is supposed to have gotten from HOPE.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And she is not responsible for knowing the terms under which she is eligible for these programs because....?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

My girlfriend's GPA dipped below the requirement for a Georgia specific scholarship program called HOPE at ~30 credit hours, making her ineligible to receive HOPE again until she could be reevaluated at 60 credit hours. when she transferred to a new school, she filled out the necessary forms from her school to be reevaluated, but she was told by the financial aid department that she was not eligible for reevaluation until the next semester, when if her GPA stayed the same she would receive HOPE again. When she went to be reevaluated for hope after the end of the semester, she was told that she was too late and now she will be unable to even be evaluated for a chance to get HOPE until she reaches 90 credit hours. If she cannot get this straightened out, and she does in fact lose eligibility for HOPE scholarship for 30 credit hours(and the last semester where she could have received scholarship money presumably) because of a school employee's incorrect information and denial of her request, does she have any legal recourse against the institution? She isn't looking for anything major, just for the money she is supposed to have gotten from HOPE.
Girlfriend should deal with this herself. :rolleyes:

tranquility

Even if it could be proven she could reasonably rely on the college's negligent representation and that reliance cases her damages, I think this is not a winner because she has a duty to mitigate the damages. There is an administrative review for the scholarships (https://secure.gacollege411.org/Financial_Aid_Planning/HOPE_Program/Administrative_Reviews_and_Exceptions.aspx) and a person usually has to follow all administrative steps before they have a right to sue.

Just Blue

Even if it could be proven she could reasonably rely on the college's negligent representation and that reliance cases her damages, I think this is not a winner because she has a duty to mitigate the damages. There is an administrative review for the scholarships (https://secure.gacollege411.org/Financial_Aid_Planning/HOPE_Program/Administrative_Reviews_and_Exceptions.aspx) and a person usually has to follow all administrative steps before they have a right to sue.
Why would OP read your VERY GOOD info when he is too busy "helping" his can'tdoitforherselfgirlfriend...

OP is likely cleaning his GF bottom as we speek.:(

Student321

She did follow all administrative steps to apply. She just called again and we recorded the conversation, the person on the phone admitted that her not being awarded the scholarship was an error on the school's part.

Student321

Girlfriend should deal with this herself. :rolleyes:
Ironically she was making us sandwiches for lunch at the time lol. But either way, anything I can do to help her save on the already outrageous cost of school I'm going to do, whether people on the internet think I should or shouldn't.

Just Blue

Ironically she was making us sandwiches for lunch at the time lol. But either way, anything I can do to help her save on the already outrageous cost of school I'm going to do, whether people on the internet think I should or shouldn't.
Ahhh. I see. The little woman was busy in the kitchen as the "big man" was "doing business".

Enjoy your PBJ.

Student321

And did she follow the steps in Tranq's link to mitigate her damages?

She's working on it now. Thanks to everyone who helped, to those of you who did not help, I appreciate the jokes. Laughter is the best medicine after all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">