• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Graduate Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMTOU

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I am a graduate student at a university in Oklahoma. I recently found out that, despite my excellent academic record, several of the faculty members did not want me admitted to the graduate program because I have a chronic illness. This was also the reason I did not receive a graduate teaching assitanceship, despite the fact that I am more qualified than at least one person who did receive one. Since I began the program in August, the faculty members who do not want me there have been horrible to me. One of the other (male) graduate students stalked me physically and by phone for months, attempting to make me quit the program, and our chair dismissed me saying that I "must have sent (the other graduate student) mixed signals." The faculty members in question, I believe, encouraged the stalking and they continue to spread lies about me within the department. Recently, I've had to go back to taking anti-depressents that I have not required since high school, and I have made the decision to leave the program rather than continue in this hostile environment. Can I sue? If so, what type of attorney do I need?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I am a graduate student at a university in Oklahoma. I recently found out that, despite my excellent academic record, several of the faculty members did not want me admitted to the graduate program because I have a chronic illness. This was also the reason I did not receive a graduate teaching assitanceship, despite the fact that I am more qualified than at least one person who did receive one. Since I began the program in August, the faculty members who do not want me there have been horrible to me. One of the other (male) graduate students stalked me physically and by phone for months, attempting to make me quit the program, and our chair dismissed me saying that I "must have sent (the other graduate student) mixed signals." The faculty members in question, I believe, encouraged the stalking and they continue to spread lies about me within the department. Recently, I've had to go back to taking anti-depressents that I have not required since high school, and I have made the decision to leave the program rather than continue in this hostile environment. Can I sue? If so, what type of attorney do I need?
**A: sue who and for what?

tranquility

An attorney that specializes in education law would be best, but one who knows about workplace discrimination would probably be able to help as well. You haven't given enough facts to know if it is warranted, but if you feel you are being discriminated against because of your disability, that would be a place to seek a remedy. However, from what you've said, you may not get an attorney. Supposition and guesses do not a lawsuit make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">