• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Graduation not recognized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ednytokyo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello all,

I am in an unusual predicament and was wondering if anybody would know if I have any possible course of action.

I graduated in 1995 but according to my universities records, I did not. I received my diploma but unfortunately can not locate it. This situation came up recently when I was about to start a job and the prospective company did a background check. The background check came up with flying colors for my past work experiences and references, but was informed by my university that I did not graduate. I was shocked because I have worked for several companies, small and large in the past 16 years and never received any notice about not graduating.

I contacted my university and was informed the same but they told me that I was missing a liberal arts class (my major was Finance) but had several extra classes which they could apply towards the missing class by way of a waiver, therefore I would be able to graduate now, with a date of 2012.

The issue I have is that I did not need to take any class now to receive this graduation, AND more importantly, I actually received this waiver back in 1995 hence graduating and receiving my diploma back in 1995. The problem is according to their system they have no records of this occurring. To add to my dilemma, I can not locate my diploma.

Would anybody have any idea of whether I have any course of action I could take to have my graduation date recognized as the original date of 1995? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Ed

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello all,

I am in an unusual predicament and was wondering if anybody would know if I have any possible course of action.

I graduated in 1995 but according to my universities records, I did not. I received my diploma but unfortunately can not locate it. This situation came up recently when I was about to start a job and the prospective company did a background check. The background check came up with flying colors for my past work experiences and references, but was informed by my university that I did not graduate. I was shocked because I have worked for several companies, small and large in the past 16 years and never received any notice about not graduating.

I contacted my university and was informed the same but they told me that I was missing a liberal arts class (my major was Finance) but had several extra classes which they could apply towards the missing class by way of a waiver, therefore I would be able to graduate now, with a date of 2012.

The issue I have is that I did not need to take any class now to receive this graduation, AND more importantly, I actually received this waiver back in 1995 hence graduating and receiving my diploma back in 1995. The problem is according to their system they have no records of this occurring. To add to my dilemma, I can not locate my diploma.

Would anybody have any idea of whether I have any course of action I could take to have my graduation date recognized as the original date of 1995? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Ed
What University is this? (I only ask because of the Tokyo reference in your name) One in NY?

Do you have any supporting documentation? Do any of your past employers?

Could you ask any past employers to vouch for you? If you have worked in finance for many years, surely your experience would show your new employer that you have the credentials.

If your university will grant you a degree with the new date on it, why don't you take that, and show that it proves (along with your transcript) that this was a university error, not yours. You don't have to take any classes. Therefore, you do have the degree.

Ednytokyo

What University is this? (I only ask because of the Tokyo reference in your name) One in NY?

Do you have any supporting documentation? Do any of your past employers?

Could you ask any past employers to vouch for you? If you have worked in finance for many years, surely your experience would show your new employer that you have the credentials.

If your university will grant you a degree with the new date on it, why don't you take that, and show that it proves (along with your transcript) that this was a university error, not yours. You don't have to take any classes. Therefore, you do have the degree.
Thank you Humusluvr for your reply,

My university is in Downtown NY but the (I'm afraid, possibly no longer) prospective employer and where I have moved to for this opportunity is in Tokyo.

Unfortunately, I do not have supporting documentation. Also, I contacted one former employer for the verification that they received when I was hired and was informed that at the time they did not do Education checks.

Actually all my past experience, via through employer reference checks came back extremely positive, resulting in me getting an offer after 8 grueling interviews spanning just a bit short of 3 months...pending a complete background check.

Showing my degree with the new date along with my transcripts is exactly what I was thinking of and intend to do but the issue I believe the company has is a matter of integrity. If they strictly look at the paperwork/application it appears as though I falsified information. The prospective employer being a large american company, and along with the strict Japanese ethics and standards they are finding it difficult to look pass this issue.

I agree with you Humusluvr, 100%. My issue is having a graduation date of 2012 vs 1995. I can not begin to think of how this will affect my career...hence, feeling it is necessary to get the original date officially recognized as opposed to explaining to any future prospective employers.

Once again, thank you for your reply.

Best,
Ed

Humusluvr

Showing my degree with the new date along with my transcripts is exactly what I was thinking of and intend to do but the issue I believe the company has is a matter of integrity. If they strictly look at the paperwork/application it appears as though I falsified information. The prospective employer being a large american company, and along with the strict Japanese ethics and standards they are finding it difficult to look pass this issue.

I agree with you Humusluvr, 100%. My issue is having a graduation date of 2012 vs 1995. I can not begin to think of how this will affect my career...hence, feeling it is necessary to get the original date officially recognized as opposed to explaining to any future prospective employers.

Once again, thank you for your reply.

Best,
Ed
So the school, when you contact them, says that because they can't find the waiver, they have to recognize you as graduating in 2012, instead of the year you finished classes, 1995? The way you've described it, it seems like a no-brainer - that they should recognize that you graduated in 1995.

Who have you talked to? The registrar? The transcript office? Your department you graduated from?

I can totally see how this would affect you, especially working with a Japanese company. They do value ethics and integrity, and even though you did not make the error, I can see how this would hold you up.

Usually, in order to graduate from a college or university, there has to be an application for graduation. Maybe an office has that? Do you have ANYTHING that might support your claim, even old photos?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">