• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Canyon University

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccarter44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I attended Grand Canyon University on line and I completed all the work for my degree in December 2011. I was told that someone had turned in a paper similiar to mine for a class that I had already taken. When they did their investigation they found more papers in other classes similiar to mine. Most of the classes that I had taken in 2009. I did my own work but my tote bag that contained my jump drives was stolen from me. It contained all of my work. In January 2012 they expelled me from school and will not send me my degree and transcripts. They also changed my grades from an A to a F. This is not fair because if I had cheated they would have been known this. Someone copied my work. What can I do?

Antigone*

I attended Grand Canyon University on line and I completed all the work for my degree in December 2011. I was told that someone had turned in a paper similiar to mine for a class that I had already taken. When they did their investigation they found more papers in other classes similiar to mine. Most of the classes that I had taken in 2009. I did my own work but my tote bag that contained my jump drives was stolen from me. It contained all of my work. In January 2012 they expelled me from school and will not send me my degree and transcripts. They also changed my grades from an A to a F. This is not fair because if I had cheated they would have been known this. Someone copied my work. What can I do?
Huh:eek::eek::confused:

CdwJava

How would they have known if you cheated?

There are subscriptions services that GCU and others can belong to (and most of them do) that scan work for plagiarism and similarity to other written works. I suspect that they did not take this action lightly, nor was it isolated.

Can you show, definitively, that your paper was submitted before any of the "similar" ones were? Can you present a police report of the theft, as well?

Have you appealed the decision by the college?

Humusluvr

Did you have a hearing?

What is the grievance procedure for the university?

You do realize the story sounds fishy, without any proof that your bag was stolen.

I agree with others that you could use Turnitin to see when the papers started showing up. If it was BEFORE you took the classes, you're screwed. But if it's after you took the class, they'll either say you sold the papers, or believe your story.

Turnitin | Student Life | Grand Canyon University

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">