• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guidance Counselor passing student notes to teachers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimccc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My son's(17) girlfriend(16) had notes that my son wrote to her. Some mentioning anger toward some teachers for their behavior. His girlfriends mother found them and gave them to her guidance counselor, who in turn distributed them to the teachers in question. My feeling is that these notes were not meant for these people and that the counselor should have used better judgement. My concern is that the teachers will now hold this against my son and not provide impartial treatment. In other words, he could be singled out and his grades altered over this. Is there any legal recourse to make sure this does not happen?

You Are Guilty

My son's(17) girlfriend(16) had notes that my son wrote to her. Some mentioning anger toward some teachers for their behavior. His girlfriends mother found them and gave them to her guidance counselor, who in turn distributed them to the teachers in question. My feeling is that these notes were not meant for these people and that the counselor should have used better judgement. My concern is that the teachers will now hold this against my son and not provide impartial treatment. In other words, he could be singled out and his grades altered over this. Is there any legal recourse to make sure this does not happen?
Absolutely! Sit down with your son and explain the importance of respecting his teachers and not writing notes which could potentially be viewed as threats. As long as he doesn't do it again, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, in today's environment, your 16 year old son wrote notes that threatened personnel at the school, and your displeasure is at the counselor for giving the target of these threats a heads-up?

Abso-freaking-lutely incredible. :mad:

sandyclaus

So, in other words, your son was foolish enough to be passing notes in class about how angry he was with some of his teachers. And now YOU are upset because these teachers actually found out about what was said, and you are trying to hold the guidance counselor liable for the damage caused to your son by the disclosure of this information?

If your son is singled out by the teachers in question because of his poor judgment and personal feelings against them, that is HIS problem. If he didn't mean for these teachers to find out how he felt, he should never have misbehaved and passed notes in class talking about his problems with these teachers in the first place.

Stop trying to shield him from the natural consequences of his actions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yeah. Just imagine if someone had given a heads-up about angry kids to the teachers or administration of, say, Columbine.

And you SERIOUSLY think that the law would be on your son's side here?

Antigone*

After what has just happened in Ohio, you think this parent would get it that maybe it is not all about the "other" people's kids.

So, mom what are you doing to get your son some emotional assistance?

Proserpina

This is either:

a) The guilty teen posting or,

b) Someone who's really bored, posting to see how many hackles can be raised.

Humusluvr

So, in today's environment, your 16 year old son wrote notes that threatened personnel at the school, and your displeasure is at the counselor for giving the target of these threats a heads-up?

Abso-freaking-lutely incredible. :mad:
Completely agree Zigner.

The counselor NEEDS to warn the teachers about a possible angry student, so the teachers can watch for warning signs. Signs that angry student make lash out, may bring a gun to school, may hurt other people.

The duty isn't to your kid. The duty is to the school community.

Please, get your kid some counseling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">