• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High school diploma in hand - Transcript states not enough credits did not graduate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sleepingAwake

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

Here is the back story.
I graduated high school in 1996. In order to receive my diploma and obtain enough credits I needed to take a couple of classes in summer school that year.
I attended the classes in another district as it was the only one offering the specific classes I needed. Once completed with passing grades I received my diploma. The diploma was issued from my home school.
I had the option of attending a small ceremony in my high schools library or picking it up. I chose to pick it up. It is an original copy. Embossed with raised lettering.

Fast forward 17 years. I'm in the midst of a background check for a potential employer. The employer had trouble verifying I graduated from high school and asked I provide proof. I scanned my diploma and emailed a copy.

2 weeks later they contact me and state my high school transcript states I did not graduate as I am missing credits.

I'm stuck until 1-2-14 (or later depending on snow) as no one will be at the school to consult with.
I've tried contacting the other school district but they stated any record of classes taken would have been sent to my home school and kept with my transcript.
In fact an employee at the other district stated in all likelihood my transcript was reviewed in June 96 with everyone else's, marked not enough credits to graduate and filed, 2 months later when I finished the summer courses it was reviewed again, this time I had enough credits and my diploma was issued/released, there would have been some sort of document from the other school, however someone forgot to mark the transcript as such or file the other schools paperwork.

Everyone I've reached out to so far has stated I would not have been issued a diploma unless I met the requirements. The employer wants a statement on school letterhead saying I did in fact graduate.

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in things going smoothly in a few days. I can already picture the conversation going something like... "We're sorry but we have no record of the missing credit completion. Your diploma was issued in error."
Just imagine yourself in a position where 17 years later your high school is trying to say you never graduated. Even though you have the piece of paper saying otherwise.

Anyone have any thoughts? Legal recourse? Mind you my start date is 1-13-14

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

Here is the back story.
I graduated high school in 1996. In order to receive my diploma and obtain enough credits I needed to take a couple of classes in summer school that year.
I attended the classes in another district as it was the only one offering the specific classes I needed. Once completed with passing grades I received my diploma. The diploma was issued from my home school.
I had the option of attending a small ceremony in my high schools library or picking it up. I chose to pick it up. It is an original copy. Embossed with raised lettering.

Fast forward 17 years. I'm in the midst of a background check for a potential employer. The employer had trouble verifying I graduated from high school and asked I provide proof. I scanned my diploma and emailed a copy.

2 weeks later they contact me and state my high school transcript states I did not graduate as I am missing credits.

I'm stuck until 1-2-14 (or later depending on snow) as no one will be at the school to consult with.
I've tried contacting the other school district but they stated any record of classes taken would have been sent to my home school and kept with my transcript.
In fact an employee at the other district stated in all likelihood my transcript was reviewed in June 96 with everyone else's, marked not enough credits to graduate and filed, 2 months later when I finished the summer courses it was reviewed again, this time I had enough credits and my diploma was issued/released, there would have been some sort of document from the other school, however someone forgot to mark the transcript as such or file the other schools paperwork.

Everyone I've reached out to so far has stated I would not have been issued a diploma unless I met the requirements. The employer wants a statement on school letterhead saying I did in fact graduate.

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in things going smoothly in a few days. I can already picture the conversation going something like... "We're sorry but we have no record of the missing credit completion. Your diploma was issued in error."
Just imagine yourself in a position where 17 years later your high school is trying to say you never graduated. Even though you have the piece of paper saying otherwise.

Anyone have any thoughts? Legal recourse? Mind you my start date is 1-13-14
Your prospective employer really cares that much about high school? They obtained your transcripts??

sleepingAwake

Your prospective employer really cares that much about high school? They obtained your transcripts??
Yes they did. What's worse is that I used to work for them. I have 4 years with the company. Left in good standing 3 years ago.
Your not the first person TODAY to say the same thing.

Silverplum

Yes they did. What's worse is that I used to work for them. I have 4 years with the company. Left in good standing 3 years ago.
Your not the first person TODAY to say the same thing.
The only thing to do is call the schol district Thursday. Or next Monday, perhaps.

OHRoadwarrior

They usually have a grade depository that retains grades of all students on file. Access that (sometimes 3rd party) get the records and ask for a letter.

sleepingAwake

They usually have a grade depository that retains grades of all students on file. Access that (sometimes 3rd party) get the records and ask for a letter.
I called the state dept of education and they advised me the state has no centralized record keeping for the high school level.

Each district has their own separate records. I'm waiting to hear if the other district can find record of my attendance in summer school.
My district only has the incomplete transcript.

Many Law Enforcement positions require proof of graduation via transcripts to be certified to perform the job. Not so unusual. Had to get one from Scotland recently and that was not easy.

Did you get it figured out OP?

sleepingAwake

Well turns out I was worried for nothing.
Walked into my high school. Showed them my diploma. Transcript and folder were corrected and they wrote a letter to my employer apologizing for the trouble.

Silverplum

Many Law Enforcement positions require proof of graduation via transcripts to be certified to perform the job. Not so unusual. Had to get one from Scotland recently and that was not easy.

Did you get it figured out OP?
I was just surprised that the agency cared so much about high school. College or professional schools, sure. But high school surprised me.

Glad for OP! :)

Just an aside- I had a recent applicant that was working towards his Alaska Police Standards certification. Come to find out, the high school he attended and graduated from was "uncertified". We actully had to jump through hoops and get him enrolled in an online course to "finish" high school. It was nuts! 28 yr old gent had to go back to high school!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">