• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School Diploma for International Students!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VqSet

Good day there! Well, this academic year I'm going to be an international exchange student in an american high school. As it'll be my last year in high school (12), I have to receive a document of a high school completion anyway, but I know that some school still give diplomas for such students as me? Well, I wouldn't be so concerned about this situation, if it wasn't about going to an american university. Even if I don't it, I still would love to have one just for my own satisfaction :) So, could you please help me out and tell what kinds of schools give high school diplomas for international students and what kinds don't, by what circumstances can I get one etc... I do realize it depends on state and credits. I don't have any information about my state yet, so I guess this answer is gonna be just in general considering all the states (sorry for that). What about credits... Well, I'm ready to work hard to gain some additional ones. Thank you!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Good day there! Well, this academic year I'm going to be an international exchange student in an american high school. As it'll be my last year in high school (12), I have to receive a document of a high school completion anyway, but I know that some school still give diplomas for such students as me? Well, I wouldn't be so concerned about this situation, if it wasn't about going to an american university. Even if I don't it, I still would love to have one just for my own satisfaction :) So, could you please help me out and tell what kinds of schools give high school diplomas for international students and what kinds don't, by what circumstances can I get one etc... I do realize it depends on state and credits. I don't have any information about my state yet, so I guess this answer is gonna be just in general considering all the states (sorry for that). What about credits... Well, I'm ready to work hard to gain some additional ones. Thank you!
The granting of HS diplomas is a matter of policy at the local School Board level/State Department of Education.

LdiJ

If you meet the requirements to be accepted into an American high school as a senior, and you meet the requirements to pass your senior year, you will be awarded a diploma as a graduate. The fact that you are an international exchange student will not stop you from getting the diploma.

VqSet

Thank you so much for your replies! So, that means, for instance, if the requirement for getting HSD for anyone is 24 credits, I will just have to gain them and that's gonna be it? Because in Hanna High School, Brownsville, TX they don't give HSDs to international students, as they say it's forbidden by law.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because in Hanna High School, Brownsville, TX they don't give HSDs to international students, as they say it's forbidden by law.
That is your answer then. The high school is not going to give you a diploma.

VqSet

Well, I don't think so. Why on the Earth they would forbid that? (hopefully, this is not my high-school, it was just for an instance). I just don't get it. Some schools give diplomas and some don't. This is what bothers me the most.

Zigner

Well, I don't think so. Why on the Earth they would forbid that? (hopefully, this is not my high-school, it was just for an instance). I just don't get it. Some schools give diplomas and some don't. This is what bothers me the most.
You have to complete the appropriate coursework for a diploma. The course you have taken to date may not include everything you need, and you may not be able to "catch up" in one year. Contact the school that you plan on attending and ask them your specific questions. There is no way that we can guess.

VqSet

That one was much better! Thank you! :) Yeah, I will definitely contact them as soon as I know what school exactly I'm going to attend. Thank you again!

Zigner

That one was much better! Thank you! :) Yeah, I will definitely contact them as soon as I know what school exactly I'm going to attend. Thank you again!
You're welcome. Good luck and welcome to the USA for your studies :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">