• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding Transcript Over SO-called Unpaid Tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casey.braico

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I attended the University of Arizona in 2003-2004. If it matters, I was 16 at the time. I attended one semester and lived in a dorm. The following semester I enrolled, but decided to drop/disenroll before classes ever started. Apparently there was some trash fee or something from my dorm that was unpaid, causing a hold on my account and they did not drop my classes. I didn't know this at the time. I actually attended a totally different school the semester in question and received financial aid there. Meanwhile, the U of A charged me tuition and no classes were ever dropped despite my initial attempt. Now several years later, in order to receive financial aid they request transcripts from all schools, including the U of A. The U of A refuses to release my transcript citing that I owe them somewhere in the range of $3,000 for the semester that wasnt dropped because of a hold they supposedly placed on my account at the time.

Is there anything I can do about this?

csi7

If you have the form where you dropped enrollment, then you can present that form to the financial office for review.

I would request a forensic accounting of the enrollment for the semester which you are being refused your transcript information. I would also find all the paperwork available that proves your statement.

This may be enough to get your transcript released. If not, then you will have to go through the process of a formal complaint with the financial transaction in your state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you have the form where you dropped enrollment, then you can present that form to the financial office for review.

I would request a forensic accounting of the enrollment for the semester which you are being refused your transcript information. I would also find all the paperwork available that proves your statement.

This may be enough to get your transcript released. If not, then you will have to go through the process of a formal complaint with the financial transaction in your state.
Rightttttt :rolleyes:

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I attended the University of Arizona in 2003-2004. If it matters, I was 16 at the time. I attended one semester and lived in a dorm. The following semester I enrolled, but decided to drop/disenroll before classes ever started. Apparently there was some trash fee or something from my dorm that was unpaid, causing a hold on my account and they did not drop my classes. I didn't know this at the time. I actually attended a totally different school the semester in question and received financial aid there. Meanwhile, the U of A charged me tuition and no classes were ever dropped despite my initial attempt. Now several years later, in order to receive financial aid they request transcripts from all schools, including the U of A. The U of A refuses to release my transcript citing that I owe them somewhere in the range of $3,000 for the semester that wasnt dropped because of a hold they supposedly placed on my account at the time.

Is there anything I can do about this?
How did you go about "dropping/disenrolling?"

This story doesn't sound right. If you had a fee from the semester you WERE enrolled, that would have prevented you from enrolling in the semester you were MIA. In reality, you most likely had a spot reserved for you, didn't drop properly, and the owe room and board. The only way you'll get your transcript is to pay what you owe.

casey.braico

This story doesn't sound right. If you had a fee from the semester you WERE enrolled, that would have prevented you from enrolling in the semester you were MIA. In reality, you most likely had a spot reserved for you, didn't drop properly, and the owe room and board. The only way you'll get your transcript is to pay what you owe.
I believe I was enrolled in the semester BEFORE the fees were assessed from the dorm. Then when attempting to drop, they didnt do it because of a hold for the dorm fee which was assessed after the initial enrollment if that helps clear it up.

casey.braico

Also, the 3000 dollars has nothing to do with room and board, they are charging me TUITION for the semester I did not attend.

casey.braico

...and didn't properly drop.

Pay the money you owe.
Okay. I did the forms and everything, but they didnt drop them because of a hold over a 30 dollar charge from my dorm for some nonsense. I attended and received financial aid at a different school the semester in question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Okay. I did the forms and everything, but they didnt drop them because of a hold over a 30 dollar charge from my dorm for some nonsense. I attended and received financial aid at a different school the semester in question.
$30 then, $3,000 now. Expensive lesson :(

casey.braico

$30 then, $3,000 now. Expensive lesson :(
I'm not really ashamed of it. I literally didnt have the 30$ and the charge was not appropriate. I had no contact with either of my parents and was 16 years old attending a university and living on my own. People make worse mistakes when they are 30. If I have to pay it I will, but if there is anything I can do to fight it, I'd like the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">