• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need the child to stay in school and have a future

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DannyRamirez12

How do I obtain custody of a 17 year old child that lives with me. The child lives with me because she is happier here for the past 3 months. I live in Texas by the way so that part is legal. The problem is the child got got sick and went to the hospital, and the school needs release papers for the child to go back to school. The child has missed one week of school already because her mother isn't cooperating with me. She knows the child is missing school and the mother still doesn't even want to take her to the doctor herself. The child will be a drop out if I don't get custody.

Silverplum

How do I obtain custody of a 17 year old child that lives with me. The child lives with me because she is happier here for the past 3 months. I live in Texas by the way so that part is legal. The problem is the child got got sick and went to the hospital, and the school needs release papers for the child to go back to school. The child has missed one week of school already because her mother isn't cooperating with me. She knows the child is missing school and the mother still doesn't even want to take her to the doctor herself. The child will be a drop out if I don't get custody.
Who are you in the scenario? Dad?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Who are you in this matter?

You aren't going to be able to get "custody" of this child...perhaps you ought to send the child home...

(Am I the only one who sees the icky-factor here?)

Silverplum

And what is up with this? https://forum.freeadvice.com/drug-charges-28/im-not-sure-what-will-happen-618470.html

"I'm posting this for someone else. Marijuana abuse came out in a drug test at a hospital and I'm 17 years old, does this affect me in any way? The hospital didn't say anything about charges or anything involving the police department."

DannyRamirez12

Her mother doesn't take care of the child, I support/provide for the child with my own money here. There are two separate children by the way. Otherwise it would have been on the same post. Anyway, the child loves it here. Her mother just makes it hard on us. She would have been put in CPS if it wasn't for me. I also have a 17 year old boy who got marijuana in a drug test at the hospital and needed to see if that affected him.

Silverplum

Her mother doesn't take care of the child, I support/provide for the child with my own money here. There are two separate children by the way. Otherwise it would have been on the same post. Anyway, the child loves it here. Her mother just makes it hard on us. She would have been put in CPS if it wasn't for me. I also have a 17 year old boy who got marijuana in a drug test at the hospital and needed to see if that affected him.
So you collect teenagers?

Proserpina

It would appear that your de facto guardianship leaves a little to be desired.

You might want to consider that.

DannyRamirez12

I'm a mother. I just choose to have our identities hidden. The child is dating my son for 4 years already and that is why she chose to live here. The conditions in her old home were seriously bad. The girl doesn't want anything to happen to her mother because her father is disabled and nobody can take care of him but her mother.

DannyRamirez12

I have more than one son by the way. The one she is dating is 18. He also works and goes to college. The child(girl) is financially stable, but I can't take her to any doctor without me being her new legal guardian at least.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm a mother. I just choose to have our identities hidden. The child is dating my son for 4 years already and that is why she chose to live here. The conditions in her old home were seriously bad. The girl doesn't want anything to happen to her mother because her father is disabled and nobody can take care of him but her mother.
So, you invite your 18 year old boy's 17 year old girlfriend to live in the house with ya'll as a big happy family, right?

You really need to send the CHILD back to her mother before you end up with an infant in the house.

DannyRamirez12

I spoke to the high school she goes to because she is a senior and they understood the situation. I was able to enroll her in school because of the kind faculty, even though I'm not her legal guardian.

Silverplum

Girl doesn't get to choose how authorities handle "bad" homes. Either it's an abusive home and authorities must be called in, or it's just teen drama. Neither scenario has anything to do with you.

Proserpina

I spoke to the high school she goes to because she is a senior and they understood the situation. I was able to enroll her in school because of the kind faculty, even though I'm not her legal guardian.
I find that hard to believe.

All that legal "stuff" and all.

Really.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">