• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to withhold public school transcripts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Khearts19

Is it legal to withhold a childs school transcript? Transcript was held because the schools paperwork showed I owed money for a text book. The text book had already been turned in 3 days before my parents withdre me and tried to get my transcript. I was 17, a junior and only had 3 semesters of high school left. I am now 28 and still trying to get my transcript. Unfortunately, no school would allow me to transfer in without transcript so I wasnt able to graduate high school and start college like I so badly wanted to. Up to this day the school says I owe absolutely no money but they still refuse to release them. Ive been applying for online high school classes so I can get a diploma and then college. Is the school breaking the law by keeping my transcript and not allowing me to continue my education? Are there ANY circumstances where schools are allowed to do this?

quincy

Is it legal to withhold a childs school transcript? Transcript was held because the schools paperwork showed I owed money for a text book. The text book had already been turned in 3 days before my parents withdre me and tried to get my transcript. I was 17, a junior and only had 3 semesters of high school left. I am now 28 and still trying to get my transcript. Unfortunately, no school would allow me to transfer in without transcript so I wasnt able to graduate high school and start college like I so badly wanted to. Up to this day the school says I owe absolutely no money but they still refuse to release them. Ive been applying for online high school classes so I can get a diploma and then college. Is the school breaking the law by keeping my transcript and not allowing me to continue my education? Are there ANY circumstances where schools are allowed to do this?
What is the name of your state, Khearts19?

justalayman

Your state is critically important but in a more general response to the question; yes, in some states it is legal to withhold transcripts if the school is owed money

The real question here is:

You made the statement the school acknowledges you owe nothing yet they will not release your transcripts. What is the reason for refusing when your question is presented to an administrator aware of the fact the school acknowledges there is nothing owed?

Beyond that, even if you actually do not owe anything, given the repercussions of not being able to obtain your transcripts (and extremely important you be able to obtain them many years ago), why not simply pay the claimed money owed so you could continue your education in a timely manner and deal with the validity issue later? It seems a bit foolish to argue about less than $500 (and realistically more like $100) such that your education has been delayed at least 10 years. The old adage; penny wise, pound foolish comes to mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">