• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Im not comfortable talking about this"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

YodamboY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I use to go to a community college and was getting ready to transfer out to a 4 year university after obtaining the requirements for a Associates degree. I wanted to take some more classes before I went up to my new school to save some money. Unfortunately my parents thought it was a good time to kick me out of the house after just getting out of the military. (Not for something I did but because I was considered "grown") Upon transferring my school notified me that I wasn't able to get my paper work because I owed a fee. I check the fee and it was close to $5000.

Initially I called the school (Financial aid Department) to see what was the problem. I was greeted by a student employee who was disgruntled by my question who gave me a vague answer and immediately hung up the phone. I called back and asked to speak with the Manager. Mr. XXX answered the phone and told me he would look into it. After some time he gave me a call back and told me that a student didn't file the cancellation of financial aid correctly. During this time I was able to see the money and it look like the money had been dispersed into my student account. This would be the time right before it is sent to my bank account for personal use.

This does not happen normally as you need to be enrolled in classes to be able to receive aid. I suspected that someone was possibly using this account to take money out discretely. After Mr. XXX gave me a call and told me what happened and the $5000 fee or dispersed money was removed from the account. Where it went I don't know. He told me it would take some time to clear and so I waited. 4 or 5 months later I went back to the account to re apply for my associates paper work. I still had a fee or what ever it was in my account, this time it was $1,400. I gave him a call back and he told me that it was strange and that the fee should be there. He then told me that it may be a business Department Issue.

I gave them a call and they told me that it was a financial aid issue. I tried getting back in contact with Mr.XXX but wasn't able to. I tried getting other people calls but kept getting the run around. I decided to drive down 300 miles back to Houston just to resolve this. I was able to get Mr. XXXs bosses contact information, Mrs. J. She was not in the office that day and I had things to do in my home town so I settled for the email contact info. I emailed her a summary of what happened and she asked for my login details and so I gave it too her. I sent her 3 additional emails and received no response at all. I emailed her again after a year of time and she asked me if I could give her the details again. After sometime she eventually got back to me, but gave me vague answers and when I asked her for the notes they had on the situation I did not receive a reply.

I drove down again to Houston to try to resolve this and stopped at the school in which I went to to talk to the financial manager. Mr. XXX was no longer there and when this new manager looked at the notes that were made about the case he told me "im am not comfortable talking about this." He refused to comment or mention anything further about my issue. I still owe that 1,400+ and it has caused me a lot of stress and anxiety and of course it messes up my credit due to the collections of it. It also causes me to pay more money when it comes to living expenses. I could not sleep for a while and I am tired of dealing with this matter. I am considering giving the FBI a call but im not sure at all what to do. I appreciate your help and of course from reading this.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

xylene

Your financial aid didn't cover everything and you owe 1,400 dollars.

Your vague suspicion otherwise doesn't change that.

LdiJ

I do not agree with you. The whole "I am not comfortable with talking about this" bit seems to indicate that something is not quite Kosher. A financial aide officer should be able to explain clearly why the person owes money.

YodamboY

Actually I wasn't taking any classes at the school with the financial aid problem. So it wouldn't be that. Also if I was I would of been able to cover all the classes with just the financial aid. I forgot to mention that when the 2nd payment issue popped up there were some date changes that made it seem like something else. Also all financial aid is handle through the same federal institution. There shouldnt be any reason why I owe them for a class.

Proserpina; said:
What do you believe the FBI would do?
I believe that they would be able to investigate the matter due to possible fraud or anything else that could be happening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">