• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intimidation? Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teacherhusband

What is the name of your state? KY

My wife is a high school English teacher. She has been teaching in the same school for 5 years. This year the school hired a new principal. The school is very small and the community is a small community. The new principal is a former teacher at the school and a "hometown boy". My wife does her job very well and has had nothing but great evaluations from former principals etc. The new principal has seemed to single her out. Almost everyday she has been summoned to his office to "talk" about different matters. She has been to the super several times and the matters have been resolved to his satisfaction but the principal keeps hashing the same topics. A parent bypassed the principal and my wife about a matter with her son and a niece she has educational custody to go directly to the school board. The school board did not give her what she wanted so she went to the principal to get satisfaction. The principal has now called my wife yet again and has dictated that she meet with he and this woman about the same things covered at the school board meeting. Her talk with the super the day after the school board incident led her to believe that everything was resolved and now this. At what point does this become harassment and intimidation? Is she bound to meet with this parent and the principal without any represenation? She loves her job and the students, but she is feeling like he is trying to run her out.

cmorris

My mother taught in KY for 21+ years. Some principals are jerks and get a a rush from being an authority figure.

The schools here HATE lawsuits and tend to settle quickly. You might want to have your wife consult with an attorney to see what is recommended. However, as a precaution, this can sometimes make things worse. She may wind up with even more harassment.

I can say that a teacher should always be willing to meet with a parent, even if to only state she will abide by what the school board stated. It would be a good idea to have another teacher, assistant principal, or counselor in the meeting.

Without knowing what the principal is complaining about, it is hard to judge the situation fairly. However, I would not post here about it, as it may be confidential.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">