• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IPad Repair, Who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JXH

My nine-year-old, fourth grade daughter, is required to have, and use, an ipad issued by her PA school. The school requires us to either buy insurance in case of damage, or pay the replacement cost ourselves. Is this legal since we do not seem to have a choice as to whether or not she uses the ipad? I am under the impression that if public education requires something, the district is responsible for all costs... Central York School District, York County, PA

quincy

My nine-year-old, fourth grade daughter, is required to have, and use, an ipad issued by her PA school. The school requires us to either buy insurance in case of damage, or pay the replacement cost ourselves. Is this legal since we do not seem to have a choice as to whether or not she uses the ipad? I am under the impression that if public education requires something, the district is responsible for all costs... Central York School District, York County, PA
Because the school owns the iPads and is only lending the iPads to students for their use at home and in the classroom, it is reasonable to expect that any damage to the iPad caused by a student be paid for by the student.

Other than the difference in cost, you can compare the school iPad to a school library book, school text book or school calculator. If any of these items are damaged by a student, the student is responsible for paying to repair or replace the item.

With the iPads, most schools throughout the country have made arrangements with insurance companies to reduce the cost of deductibles should a parent choose to insure the school iPad through the insurance company contracted by the school. Here is an example of an agreement that parents can enter into with the Southampton Public Schools: http://www.southhamptonpublicschools.org/files/1350901/ipad_policy4526e_4.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">