• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ITT Lawsuit and further issues.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheRealCrazy8

Minnesota

This is such a huge deal that has me so upset, but I will try to make this as short as possible. Just a little background, here is a link to the situation, http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/26/itt-lawsuit-cfpb/5837863/ . In December 2014 I graduated with my degree. For the past 4 months I am guess, I have been having HUGE issues with this. I have been in contact with the Dean of the school who clearly is not wanting to work with me. I was told that I had one class to make up. I have no problem making it up. Here is what I do have a problem with:

* The school (ITT) stealing my money
* The school contacting me that I need to enroll in this class for my degree to be valid, which I understand, but then much later I find out "you have been enrolled into this course and oh, it starts next week. I never agreed to enroll but I am also not sure that the initial paperwork I had signed for my program had something that would allow for an "auto enrollment" kind of deal like any other school quarter. I had however stated that if the paperwork I signed contains the programs ITT designed to steal students money, then I do not want to be enrolled.
* I also stated that if I am told, that those signed papers "do not contain those programs that ITT is being sued over" then I want some accountability and I want it in writing and notarized, saying so.
* I also stated that if I am required to sign any financial papers that contain the programs that are designed by ITT to steal the money of students, that I will not be signing them.
* I made it clear that if none of what I requested can be fulfilled or answered than I want nothing to do with the school, or the class needing to be completed, until they can be.
* Trying to even get the corporate phone number to file a complaint was a daunting task. The dean has shown over and over again, that he doesn't want to work with me or answer my questions.
* They will not even tell me about the current enrollment itself and why I was enrolled. They could just clear it all up, if it was part of the contractual deal when I signed on, and I would be satisfied. If it wasn't part of the signed contractual agreement, then we are going to have issues.
* I had an amazing time at ITT years back when I was pursuing my Associates, hence why I returned, but this time around has been absolutely horrendous. I realize that some of this is out of the realms of legal pursuit but we students had to deal with terrible quality instructors. Not all, but there were a few. One of which we got to listen to the instructor talk about cocaine and partying for at least 75% of the course. Despite all of our negative feedback, he got to keep his job after the quarter review. I also got dropped from a class and didn't find out about it until 3 days before the final. All I had to do was take the test and I'd be done. I might also add that I was completing all homework, turning it on time, and then I find out "we have a 3 day absent policy which was never disclosed during the 3 years (at the point) I had attended the school, nor was I warned or anyone show any concern for my absentees. Matter a fact the instructor and I worked out that whole deal. One of those three days was me spending time with my mother who was at The Mayo Clinic dealing with complications to her Chemo. One of the other days I was driving her back home to Bismarck, ND.
* I have emails between the faculty and I that have been going back and fourth trying to work past this and over the months there has been 0% progress. I keep getting the run around and none of my questions answered.

I don't know if there is any legal action I can take regarding everything that has happened or not. All I know is I just made a $32,000 mistake that I wish I could undo. If there is nothing I can pursue legally about this, I guess I just want to know what my legal rights are to get the info I am asking for and to get to the bottom of all of this. Am I stuck in a position where I just have to accept being screwed by ITT and finish off the quarter I have been enrolled for against my wishes? I have a million questions and no answers on what to do or what I can do. These months dealing with all of this have quite frankly burned me out.

I realize that there is a lot here, and believe me, there is more of this nightmare of an experience, but that's really the bulk of it. Any help at all on this would be a huge blessing and greatly appreciated. I am at the end of my rope here and so sick and tired of all of this. It stresses me out, it makes me mad beyond measure, and it hurts to see that the institution that I held up to a very high standard years ago has clearly tanked through the selection of their instructors, the lack of interest in the student but a great enough interest in pinching their wallets, and down to the core of the administrative faculty.

quincy

Minnesota

This is such a huge deal that has me so upset, but I will try to make this as short as possible. Just a little background, here is a link to the situation, http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/26/itt-lawsuit-cfpb/5837863/ . In December 2014 I graduated with my degree. For the past 4 months I am guess, I have been having HUGE issues with this. I have been in contact with the Dean of the school who clearly is not wanting to work with me. I was told that I had one class to make up. I have no problem making it up. Here is what I do have a problem with:

* The school (ITT) stealing my money
* The school contacting me that I need to enroll in this class for my degree to be valid, which I understand, but then much later I find out "you have been enrolled into this course and oh, it starts next week. I never agreed to enroll but I am also not sure that the initial paperwork I had signed for my program had something that would allow for an "auto enrollment" kind of deal like any other school quarter. I had however stated that if the paperwork I signed contains the programs ITT designed to steal students money, then I do not want to be enrolled.
* I also stated that if I am told, that those signed papers "do not contain those programs that ITT is being sued over" then I want some accountability and I want it in writing and notarized, saying so.
* I also stated that if I am required to sign any financial papers that contain the programs that are designed by ITT to steal the money of students, that I will not be signing them.
* I made it clear that if none of what I requested can be fulfilled or answered than I want nothing to do with the school, or the class needing to be completed, until they can be.
* Trying to even get the corporate phone number to file a complaint was a daunting task. The dean has shown over and over again, that he doesn't want to work with me or answer my questions.
* They will not even tell me about the current enrollment itself and why I was enrolled. They could just clear it all up, if it was part of the contractual deal when I signed on, and I would be satisfied. If it wasn't part of the signed contractual agreement, then we are going to have issues.
* I had an amazing time at ITT years back when I was pursuing my Associates, hence why I returned, but this time around has been absolutely horrendous. I realize that some of this is out of the realms of legal pursuit but we students had to deal with terrible quality instructors. Not all, but there were a few. One of which we got to listen to the instructor talk about cocaine and partying for at least 75% of the course. Despite all of our negative feedback, he got to keep his job after the quarter review. I also got dropped from a class and didn't find out about it until 3 days before the final. All I had to do was take the test and I'd be done. I might also add that I was completing all homework, turning it on time, and then I find out "we have a 3 day absent policy which was never disclosed during the 3 years (at the point) I had attended the school, nor was I warned or anyone show any concern for my absentees. Matter a fact the instructor and I worked out that whole deal. One of those three days was me spending time with my mother who was at The Mayo Clinic dealing with complications to her Chemo. One of the other days I was driving her back home to Bismarck, ND.
* I have emails between the faculty and I that have been going back and fourth trying to work past this and over the months there has been 0% progress. I keep getting the run around and none of my questions answered.

I don't know if there is any legal action I can take regarding everything that has happened or not. All I know is I just made a $32,000 mistake that I wish I could undo. If there is nothing I can pursue legally about this, I guess I just want to know what my legal rights are to get the info I am asking for and to get to the bottom of all of this. Am I stuck in a position where I just have to accept being screwed by ITT and finish off the quarter I have been enrolled for against my wishes? I have a million questions and no answers on what to do or what I can do. These months dealing with all of this have quite frankly burned me out.

I realize that there is a lot here, and believe me, there is more of this nightmare of an experience, but that's really the bulk of it. Any help at all on this would be a huge blessing and greatly appreciated. I am at the end of my rope here and so sick and tired of all of this. It stresses me out, it makes me mad beyond measure, and it hurts to see that the institution that I held up to a very high standard years ago has clearly tanked through the selection of their instructors, the lack of interest in the student but a great enough interest in pinching their wallets, and down to the core of the administrative faculty.
There always seems to be some sort of class action suit being pursued against an ITT school somewhere. You could call a local attorney for a review of the problems you are experiencing with your particular ITT to see what legal actions, if any, are available for you to consider.

Here are links to three (of the many) previous threads written on this forum about problems with ITT and for-profit schools. These schools have had legal issues for years. Some of the ITTs in some states have been investigated by both state and federal agencies, which have led to some hefty fines and some school closures. Their illegal acts were even featured on the TV program Sixty Minutes.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/copyrights-trademarks-39/i-have-consumer-complaint-website-have-question-about-trademark-need-help-218180.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/education-law-47/school-screwing-me-over-573735.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/education-law-47/suing-art-institute-tennessee-411441.html

The only thing that surprises me about ITT schools is that students are still surprised by them. The problems experienced by students over the years have been well-publicized.

Good luck.

Last edited:

quincy

That statement is almost like a Phoenix rising from the ashes quincy.
Here is a link to the Republic Report with information compiled by David Halperin, an attorney in Washington DC (updated on January 6) on investigations into for-profit schools: http://www/republicreport.org/2014/law-enforcement-for-profit-colleges/

And here is a link to a Pew Charitable Trusts article written in April of last year by Adrienne Lu on state and federal suits against for-profit colleges:
http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2014/04/14/states-crack-down-on-for-profit-colleges/

The problems experienced by these schools really are not, and have not been, kept a secret. Every student who is looking at schools to attend after high school should investigate their choices carefully prior to investing their time and money into any one school. Even a simple Google search can reveal a lot.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">