• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Johns Hopkins School of Public Health- Scholarship, Misrepresentation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abk00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I was recently admitted into JHSPH as a graduate student my Masters.

I came across a scholarship program, where it publicly advertises, that "all incoming/admitted new students matriculating into a Masters program in the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health are considered for the scholarship".

When I emailed the program, they said I was not eligible because of the department I was in. They told me: "scholarships are given to two departments each year: X1 and one other department which rotates each year. The department I am in, is not in the running this year.

This information about the department eligibility each year, is not disclosed on the website.

Furthermore, it seems previous winners were selected from up to 3 different departments, as opposed to the 2.

I feel this is misrepresentation, and discrimination, based on the field of study I chose.

When I contacted my department about this, they had no idea about the scholarship program, and they were never placed on the rotation, in the last eight years.

Do I have a case?

The stakes are high. Tuition fees for 1 year ~ 40,000k. This scholarship covers tuition for the duration of the program.

Thank you for your input!
ABK

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I was recently admitted into JHSPH as a graduate student my Masters.

I came across a scholarship program, where it publicly advertises, that "all incoming/admitted new students matriculating into a Masters program in the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health are considered for the scholarship".

When I emailed the program, they said I was not eligible because of the department I was in. They told me: "scholarships are given to two departments each year: X1 and one other department which rotates each year. The department I am in, is not in the running this year.

This information about the department eligibility each year, is not disclosed on the website.

Furthermore, it seems previous winners were selected from up to 3 different departments, as opposed to the 2.

I feel this is misrepresentation, and discrimination, based on the field of study I chose.

When I contacted my department about this, they had no idea about the scholarship program, and they were never placed on the rotation, in the last eight years.

Do I have a case?

The stakes are high. Tuition fees for 1 year ~ 40,000k. This scholarship covers tuition for the duration of the program.

Thank you for your input!
ABK
You were considered. They declined to award based on your field of study.

I see no case here.

abk00

I was not considered- because they told me I was not "eligible", based on the department I was in.

Mass_Shyster

It doesn't matter if you were considered or not. They are not required to adhere to their published information. This is not a contract, since you did not do anything, or promise to do anything in return for the scholarship.

Google "consideration" for more information. If there's no consideration, there's no contract.

abk00

It doesn't matter if you were considered or not. They are not required to adhere to their published information. This is not a contract, since you did not do anything, or promise to do anything in return for the scholarship.

Google "consideration" for more information. If there's no consideration, there's no contract.
"They are not required to adhere to their published information"- Is this is not misrepresentation?

Silverplum

They were able to select the students which they have preference for, certain majors geared towards Public Health.
Nope, not even close. Try again.

Legal terms have precise definitions. They aren't what you've heard on "Law & Order" or from your friends.

abk00

Nope, not even close. Try again.

Legal terms have precise definitions. They aren't what you've heard on "Law & Order" or from your friends.
Honestly, its not the program itself which picks the scholars. The program gives money to the departments, and its up to department who picks the scholars.

My department has never received funds from the scholarship program to pick a scholar, despite the fact, that it advertises on the website, that all admitted students are considered. I still feel its' false advertising.

Anywho, I'm going to talk to the Dean, this was suggested after I contacted the legal advisor for Students at Hopkins. Thanks for your input.

Mass_Shyster

They aren't what you've heard on "Law & Order"
The first season was pretty accurate. After that they started getting creative with the law.

OP: One definition of a contract is "a promise the courts will enforce". This "promise" does not rise to the level of a contract because it is lacking in consideration. Therefore a court will not enforce this promise.

abk00

The first season was pretty accurate. After that they started getting creative with the law.

OP: One definition of a contract is "a promise the courts will enforce". This "promise" does not rise to the level of a contract because it is lacking in consideration. Therefore a court will not enforce this promise.

I'm just asking to be "considered", which they claim: is done for all incoming students. I am discriminated against/not eligible, based on the field of study I'm in.

When I say consider: that means ACTUALLY reviewing my application, GPA, CV..etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">