• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kind of a Long Complex Issue with my College

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaf85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

So in December I went to my college to apply for in state residency because I had fulfilled the requirements. They turned my application down because the woman working at the office of the register said I was a dependent because I lived with my Mom. I need to be listed as a dependent on her or my brothers taxes which they haven't done. Recently I talked to a financial aid employee and he said I am actually considered independent and always have been because I'm over 24. Out of state residency takes all my FAFSA funding and basically I need to take out loans to pay for food and rent.

By out of state residency rules I am only allowed to be enrolled in 6 credits. I recently made the mistake of dropping a class a few days after the deadline. I wanted to add another class in it's place because I knew this class would give me problems after realizing the first week. I dropped it, added another class, payed off the class I dropped, and took out another loan to help with everything. Well I guess the class I dropped was considered "attempted" units leaving me over the max 6 credit limit. Anything over 6 credits and the tuition price sky rockets. I took out a loan and noticed this 3000 dollar charge for adding this new class. I pleaded with them but they say it's policy. It is something almost impossible to understand being a non resident that dropping a class would still consider taking up those 3 credits. I can't even drop the new class now because then I would owe even more money. What they are taking out leaves me with only a couple hundred dollars.

None of this would have even happened if my application was accepted for residency in december. I can't apply for residency anymore because it is past the deadline. This is all due to their negligence and their inexperienced student workers giving me false information and turning away my application. I believe I am not at fault here. Do I have any legal grounds in this?

xylene

I give this advice often in higher education dispute, but it is always a good start.

Contact the office of the ombudsman at you school. This could be its own department, or part of a department like student affairs or the school president... you'll need to look and ask around.

This is an internal advocate who can help resolve this dispute. You being enrolled wrongly as 'out-of-state' but really being a resident is exactly the kind of dispute they can help mediate.

schaf85

I give this advice often in higher education dispute, but it is always a good start.

Contact the office of the ombudsman at you school. This could be its own department, or part of a department like student affairs or the school president... you'll need to look and ask around.

This is an internal advocate who can help resolve this dispute. You being enrolled wrongly as 'out-of-state' but really being a resident is exactly the kind of dispute they can help mediate.
Thank you. What if they give me the same policy response? Do you think I can contact a lawyer? This in total for this dumb mistake of hers has costed me 4 grand total.

OHRoadwarrior

You should have dealt with the issue and received a determination at the time it occurred. After the fact, you may find they are not so lenient. What proof did you have at the time of enrollment that you were a NV resident? What address did you have on file with the college in the previous semester? It sounds like you were living on campus or in an apartment during class season and then tried to claim residency based on you attaining age 24.

schaf85

I didn't deal with it at the time because I barely found out a few days ago from a knowledgeable financial aid employee that I was considered independent. The woman at office of the register told me I was a dependent so well I assumed she knew what she was talking about. You have to attend the school for a year to be eligible for in state residency, which I was.

I attended college in california. My mom bought a mobile home in 2014. I attended the college from 2014 until now. My status as independent or dependent is based off your information on your FAFSA. If you live with a parent, you are dependent. BUT if you are over 24 you are considered independent. I am 30 years old.

xylene

I dunno buddy, what if they don't?

What if you sue them and lose because their policy is enforceable? :rolleyes:

It's a free place to start and it won't costed you a thing.

schaf85

You "figured" wrong. People deserve to be paid for their work. :rolleyes:
Half the lawyer commercials I see say they will not charge you until you win. That's why their's a consultation I assume. If you have nothing to add in a respectful matter than leave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Half the lawyer commercials I see say they will not charge you until you win. That's why their's a consultation I assume. If you have nothing to add in a respectful matter than leave.
How many lawyer commercials have you seen for lawyers who will help you challenge your school? I'm guessing the number is the average of -1 and 1. You've seen ambulance chasers on TV, not administrative/educational law attorneys.

schaf85

How many lawyer commercials have you seen for lawyers who will help you challenge your school? I'm guessing the number is the average of -1 and 1. You've seen ambulance chasers on TV, not administrative/educational law attorneys.
How should I know? I DON'T KNOW THESE THINGS. Hence why I'm here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why do you think I'm posting here? Cause I don't know about the way this stuff works.
The commercials you have seen are for attorneys who will take cases on contingency (pay when you win) that they feel are (relatively) high-dollar, slam-dunk cases. Yours doesn't fall in to either category, which is why you will need to pay up front. You might find an attorney willing to spend a few minutes with you at no charge, but you have very little chance of finding one who will do it at no up-front cost. It was suggest that you speak with the college's ombudsman...I also suggest that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">