• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws on Length of time on Bus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ummonx

What is the name of your state?CT

Quick question. can anyone point me in the right direction concerning any laws limiting the amount of time a childs bus ride to school. The school system just informed me they will be picking up my kid an 1.25 hours before school. The school is only about 5 miles from me.

Ummonx

Thank you for your brilliant legal opinion

he is special ed, He needs routine. Riding the bus is part of that. Someone told me there is a limit. Just trying to figure out if thats law or just school policy. It may even be bunk. any links would be appreciated.

nextwife

Call the school and ask why. And find out if NON special ed kids are subjected to the same LONG bus ride. If not, contact your state department of education to see if this is any sort of disrcimination.

1.25 hours EACH way? 2.5 hours on the bus DAILY?

My gosh, for an ADD kid, for example, that's just asking them to bounce off the walls by the time class starts. They'll be wriggly and unable to sit anymore before they even start the school day.

Also call whomever is head of his IEP team to ask if this is recommended or problematic for your child (we already know the answer).

Is this the special ed bus? My kid isn't even allowed at the school more than 10 minutes prior to school starting- they don't want kids there any earlier.

racer72

My son spent over 4 hours a day on a school bus due to mandatory busing. There are no federal guildlines for how long the bus rides can take.

rmet4nzkx

While it may seem unreasonable, when you consider this is a bus transporting special ed students and door to door, it takes a certain amount of time to collect each child and not the same as a bunch of kids piling on the bus at a stop. Depending on the needs of the children and the route it may indeed take at least that amount of time to collect them. You might want to check and see if this can change according to the route, so if your child is 1st on in the morning, that they be left off 1st in the afternoon? Although they have to allow for the needs of all the children. You may ask that although your child be ready 1.25 hours prior to school that they be able to wait in the house and wait for the horn to come out, then the wait may be less and schedules may change as the school year progreses depending on how it works out.

Ummonx

rmet is right, it does take some time. I live in a large school district. so I expect him to ride for at least 30-40 minutes. Obviously there are issues with the distance

C

ChimpMama

Laws of Length of Time on Bus

This reply is from Iowa.

There are rules in many, if not all, states regarding how long a special education student must ride on a bus. The younger the child, the less time allowed. (This means on an average day when the weather is normal.) Parents can sign a waiver if they choose.

Call the State Department of Education and ask how long and whether this includes wait time for bus changes. You should be able to obtain free of charge a copy of the State Rules of Special Education.

If the ride is too long, the school district may provide special transportation or may reimburse the parent for transporting the child. This should be clearly written into the IEP under accommodations.

Ummonx

no need,

I went down and talked with is SPED advisor. they were very accomodating. Bus ride is now 35 minutes and should get shorter after the crazyness of the start of the school year ends.

Thanks All

rmet4nzkx

Ummonx said:
no need,

I went down and talked with is SPED advisor. they were very accomodating. Bus ride is now 35 minutes and should get shorter after the crazyness of the start of the school year ends.

Thanks All
Good I'm glad it worked out like I said they have to allow for the extra time and time and an opportunity to work out the schedule, :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">