• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws regarding establishing residency as a rental in CT school districts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JaneWhite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
I have pulled my son out of school after our school district failed him and is unable to provide him with adequate programs and unwilling to agree to outside placement. Since We have been unable to sell the home we've been residing in (my husbands home, in his name) I am now renting an apt in another school district. Upon trying to enroll him they told me there will stipulations because they have to protect their school from fraudulent renters. What stipulations can they legally impose if I have a lease and utility bill for an apartment in their district? Can they require me to be there a specific amount of time? I like to go away on weekends and days off.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
I have pulled my son out of school after our school district failed him and is unable to provide him with adequate programs and unwilling to agree to outside placement. Since We have been unable to sell the home we've been residing in (my husbands home, in his name) I am now renting an apt in another school district. Upon trying to enroll him they told me there will stipulations because they have to protect their school from fraudulent renters. What stipulations can they legally impose if I have a lease and utility bill for an apartment in their district? Can they require me to be there a specific amount of time? I like to go away on weekends and days off.
Before we all play the what-if game, why don't you find out what the "stipulations" are as given by the district?

I'mTheFather

They can require that the apartment is the permanent residence of the child. If you're spending all off time at the family home, then the apartment is not the permanent residence.

The district can disenroll the child or charge tuition. You may request a hearing if that happens.

Here are some of the factors published by one district in CT:

http://www.meridenk12.org/Customer-Content/WWW/CMS/files/Residency_Policy_IB6.pdf
A number of factors have been enumerated in court cases that may be relevant to a determination of residency. These may include, but are not limited to:
1. Where the majority of the student’s clothing and personal possessions are located;
2. Addresses used for driver’s license, voting registration, selective service registration, and motor vehicle registration;
3. Where the student attends religious services;
4. Place ofclub affiiiations, e.g., cut) scouts, boy scouts, etc.;
5. Residence of chiid’s immediate family;
6. Where the child spends substantial time when school is not in session;
7. The degree of responsibility that the person with whom the child resides has over the child’s daily and general affairs, e.g., ability to consent to school trips and medical treatment, attend parent—teacher conferences, receive report cards, etc.:
8. Number of days the child is residing in City;
9. The location of schools attended previousty:
10. The place to which the child would go if such child left or were not permitted to attend school in Meriden;
11. The purpose for which the child has come to Meriden;
12. Who supplies the majority of support for the child’s welfare

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">