• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal guardian/ school communication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaizen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL (MI question)

My son is 17 and a senior in high school. Anyone who's been reading here might remember that it was always a very high conflict custody issue. After the last judge's ruling, I walked away (moved to a different state).

My son switched schools. I called the new school to be added to the online parent portal so I could just see how he was doing. After much back and forth, they told me that since someone else had "full legal guardianship", they were unable to allow me to access the online information. *I was very surprised to find out someone else has guardianship - but it proved true.

So it's true. Can someone clarify what my rights are as a parent in this situation? The school has no order stating I'm not allowed contact (none exists), but aside from taking my money for the ad in the football program - they want little to do with me. Are the two things related? Aren't my parental rights still intact and inclusive of school information?

Thank you.

CJane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL (MI question)

My son is 17 and a senior in high school. Anyone who's been reading here might remember that it was always a very high conflict custody issue. After the last judge's ruling, I walked away (moved to a different state).

My son switched schools. I called the new school to be added to the online parent portal so I could just see how he was doing. After much back and forth, they told me that since someone else had "full legal guardianship", they were unable to allow me to access the online information. *I was very surprised to find out someone else has guardianship - but it proved true.

So it's true. Can someone clarify what my rights are as a parent in this situation? The school has no order stating I'm not allowed contact (none exists), but aside from taking my money for the ad in the football program - they want little to do with me. Are the two things related? Aren't my parental rights still intact and inclusive of school information?

Thank you.
While they DO have to provide information/records to you because you're a parent - they do NOT have to do so via the parent portal. The ACCESS is guaranteed to you, the METHOD of access is not.

For my ex to have access to the portal for my high school child, I had to give the school a written request. I'm just guessing your ex wouldn't do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">