• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loyalty, Oaths, Pledges, etc. . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KillYourTV

What is the name of your state? California

I'm changing careers to come into education, and I'm facing several issues that I find challenging my patience. The kids I can handle. The curriculum and NCLB--no problem.

What I have a problem with are the Pledge of Allegiance and the Oath of Allegiance. I'm a Buddhist, and like many that share my belief there is a problem with the "under God" wording.

What kind of repercussions do I face if I refuse to take part in the Pledge of Allegiance?

And can I be denied a job if I don't sign an Oath of Allegiance?

Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Public or private school?
You have a constitutional right NOT to say the pledge of allegiance. The supreme Court has ruled that no one needs to say it nor forced. YOu however have to be respectful and courteous and if required stand quietly.
What Oath of Allegiance are you talking about?

HappyHusband

KillYourTV said:
What is the name of your state? California

I'm changing careers to come into education, and I'm facing several issues that I find challenging my patience. The kids I can handle. The curriculum and NCLB--no problem.

What I have a problem with are the Pledge of Allegiance and the Oath of Allegiance. I'm a Buddhist, and like many that share my belief there is a problem with the "under God" wording.

What kind of repercussions do I face if I refuse to take part in the Pledge of Allegiance?

And can I be denied a job if I don't sign an Oath of Allegiance?

Thanks in advance.
WTF? Does any school still recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning? The schools I went to stopped doing that when I was in the 4th grade.
Is that truly the biggest problem you have, with going into education?

I don't think you should have a problem, because nobody does that anymore, unfortunately, in my opinion. And if they do it on some special occasion, like Ohiogal said, you have the right to remain silent.

The biggest problem you should worry about is going all summer with nothing to do. Oh wait, schools go year round now.

OK, let's see... your biggest problem should be worrying about teaching the children. That one is easy, all you have to do is make sure the children know the material on the numerous academic assessment exams, that's all.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
HappyHusband said:
WTF? Does any school still recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning? The schools I went to stopped doing that when I was in the 4th grade.
Ours do - throughout HS. As well they should, IMO.

KillYourTV

Ours do - throughout HS. As well they should, IMO.
I disagree. I have no problem with pledging to uphold the constitution, or making a pledge to something that actually states our country's values. But the Pledge of Allegiance is blind nationalism. The only ideal that it states is "liberty and justice for all", which is nice, but weak and vague.

Also, I am neither Jew nor Christian. It's blatantly unconstitutional to lead a class of children in a pledge that is poorly written, pro-God, and pledges allegiance to nothing other than blind nationality. And we indoctrinate our children to it at an age when they don't understand what it means (I'll bet 50% of our High Schoolers don't know what "allegiance" means).

I love our national anthem. It tells of an example of Americans fighting through a brutal battle and not giving up. It's a beautiful song. The Pledge is not worthy. And it should never be made daily.

By the way, the Oath of Allegiance they want me to sign reads:

"I, _____________________ , solemnly swear (of affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States of American, the Constitution of the State of California, and the Laws of the United States and the State of California, and will promote respect for the flag and respect for law and order and allegiance to the government of the United States of America; that I take this obligation freely, with out mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter."

Like I wrote--I love our Constitution (though we often fail to live up to it). But what exactly is "respect" for the flag? Are they going to legislate that now?

Can somebody tell me how this makes our country better if I sign this?

Can you also tell me who the hell they are to question my patriotism?

Can you tell me why our government wants to waste time and money on what is basically a useless gesture?

Honestly--how many of you "get this": that a real American has no business demanding of another that he swear he loves his country?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
KillYourTV said:
Could you explain why? What is objectionble to you about not wanting to say the Pledge?
Sorry - I don't check this board regularly.

In my opinion (as a first gen American), the Pledge is one of the things that outwardly binds us as a cohesive group. While I do not always agree with the actions our government takes, when it comes to my country - I am there 100%, regardless. Sort of like a family squabble. My daughter may get pissy with my son for something that he's done that annoys her. But let someone ELSE tell her what an ass he's been? She'll defend him to any ends. As a small group, it's not hard to remain cohesive. A larger group needs something more, and the Pledge does that.

I can respect someone objecting to the "Under God" part, although I don't. No problem. But standing respectfully shouldn't be an issue at all. And if a teacher can't find that level of respect themselves? Then I frankly don't want them teaching my kids.

KillYourTV

Stealth2,

Thanks for replying, and for putting your thoughts down so clearly. I appreciate that you've taken the time and effort to make your argument.

I think where we disagree is not so much making a pledge, but in what exactly the pledge says. I agree that our children need to be reminded of what binds our nation as one--to reaffirm what our Founding Fathers put down in Latin as "E Pluribus Unum" (From many, One).

But the Pledge doesn't clearly state what it is that binds us. It tells us that we pledge our allegiance (a promise to be faithfull) to the flag, and to the republic (our country) that it represents. But it doesn't say WHY. It urges that our country remain cohesive ("one nation, indivisible") and then finally gives one vague idea for why we should be indivisible ("with liberty and justice for all").

I'm betting that between us we could write a better pledge; one that would remind us of what binds us as a nation, and one that reminds us of what we must respect of each other, and what aspects of our lives should always be out of reach of government (e.g. religion).

I'm glad that you respect my objections to the religious wording in the Pledge. Most American's don't know that the "under God" wording was added in the 1950's, during the drive against communism. It's this part that I and many Buddhists find troubling. We're a nation that claims religion is to be kept from from government--and vice-versa.

I have a big problem putting my children into a school that wants them either to make a pledge that includes a belief in God. I have just as big a problem with school personnel thinking that a six-year-old would not feel uncomfortable being excluded from making the pledge (and that at some point the others might single out the other). I like the idea that you can have your religion, I can have mine, and neither of us have to worry about the government getting involved. That way, the idea of E Pluribus Unum can thrive. We can have every religion, and none of them will intrude on the others. That's why our Founding Fathers made it the First Amendment. They knew that religion needed to be protected from government. But they also knew that government should be protected from religion. I like the idea that no government worker should ever need to ask my religion. And I should never ask the same question of them.

I lived overseas for many years, and in meeting people from other countries, I found that the U.S. is different from most because we are not bound by ethnicity/race, color, or religion. We are bound by our ideas: that a common cause can bind us. I think what bothers me most is that the one document that best defines us as Americans (the Constitution) is not nearly as well known as the Pledge, which is poorly written and aimless. How many students who graduated last year actually know the Constitution?

And where do you find a lack of self-respect in my posts? I find that most people who stand up by rote, say something by rote, and defend that act by rote without clearly understanding what they're doing are the ones lacking in respect. When I make a pledge, I make sure I know what I'm saying, and that I fully understand the impact of my words. That's the level of respect I give to myself.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
KillYourTV said:
And where do you find a lack of self-respect in my posts? I find that most people who stand up by rote, say something by rote, and defend that act by rote without clearly understanding what they're doing are the ones lacking in respect. When I make a pledge, I make sure I know what I'm saying, and that I fully understand the impact of my words. That's the level of respect I give to myself.
I perhaps phrased it poorly. It's not a matter of self-respect. It's a matter of showing respect for something that others believe in. As an example, when I go to an MLB game where the opposing team is the Blue Jays, "O Canada" is often played after "The Star Spangled Banner". Now, it's not MY national anthem, so why the heck should I stand for it? Because it's the respectful thing to do. A teacher should understand this, and set an example for his/her students. IMO.

KillYourTV

I perhaps phrased it poorly. It's not a matter of self-respect. It's a matter of showing respect for something that others believe in. As an example, when I go to an MLB game where the opposing team is the Blue Jays, "O Canada" is often played after "The Star Spangled Banner". Now, it's not MY national anthem, so why the heck should I stand for it? Because it's the respectful thing to do. A teacher should understand this, and set an example for his/her students. IMO.
You might consider that the difference is you have a choice. If I were in that same situation I would do the same, out of respect. However, my original question is in regards to being compelled to do so.

(By the way--in the case of the U.S., our national anthem isn't a pledge. In fact, it ends as a question. And it does so by offering an example of people who are standing up for what they believe. It is a song that has meaning.)

I believe we are using the pledge as a false indoctrination, having our children memorize the words before they even know what they mean. It is a pledge that lacks in meaning. I think I'm making it clear that I have very low regard for the Pledge, but I have yet to have anyone able to tell me where I'm wrong on my points that criticize it. Do you think you could answer the other points I made? How does it make us better Americans if most children don't know what it means, and grow into adulthood never questioning what it is they're donig?

Again--finally--can somebody tell me what legal ground I stand on in regards to oaths of allegiance, or regarding a classroom where they would ask me to teach the Pledge of Allegiance to elementary students?

BTW--do you want to know what I'd replace the Pledge with? How about this:

" We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">