• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Middle Schooler

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My son is in the 6th grade and has struggled in math the entire year. Actually he has struggled in math for a few years. He is slowly starting to catch on but it is taking time.

The school informed me that in order for him to pass 6th grade he must get a 106% in the final quarter of the year for him to pass math and not be held back to repeat 6th grade. I all but laughed, for him to get a 106 when he's already struggling I knew that was impossible.

Can a school hold him back against parental consent?

I realize that sending him on to 7th grade may just be causing more problems, but I am going to have him in intense tutoring for the summer to get him caught up. The school put him in their program which was an absolute joke for the second semester. They did nothing but worksheets of Lord knows what instead of working with them on what they were to be learning in the regular math class.

LdiJ

My son is in the 6th grade and has struggled in math the entire year. Actually he has struggled in math for a few years. He is slowly starting to catch on but it is taking time.

The school informed me that in order for him to pass 6th grade he must get a 106% in the final quarter of the year for him to pass math and not be held back to repeat 6th grade. I all but laughed, for him to get a 106 when he's already struggling I knew that was impossible.

I realize that sending him on to 7th grade may just be causing more problems, but I am going to have him in intense tutoring for the summer to get him caught up. The school put him in their program which was an absolute joke for the second semester. They did nothing but worksheets of Lord knows what instead of working with them on what they were to be learning in the regular math class.
Yes, the school can do that. They do not need parental consent. Its too bad that you didn't consider the intense tutoring sooner. You might want to consider doing it immediately in order to give him a shot at passing 6th grade.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Does dad have joint custody?

Last edited:
Yes, the school can do that. They do not need parental consent. Its too bad that you didn't consider the intense tutoring sooner. You might want to consider doing it immediately in order to give him a shot at passing 6th grade.
I had a feeling they could. It would probably be best for him to repeat anyway, as much as it makes me feel like a failure as a parent. He is a very young 6th grader and immature, not to mention add. So holding him back now will make his future a lot brighter I think.

OG,
No I have full custody, not the I understand why that matters in a case of my son's education.

LdiJ

I had a feeling they could. It would probably be best for him to repeat anyway, as much as it makes me feel like a failure as a parent. He is a very young 6th grader and immature, not to mention add. So holding him back now will make his future a lot brighter I think.

OG,
No I have full custody, not the I understand why that matters in a case of my son's education.
Don't feel like a failure, you already are articulating reasons why it would be in his best interest to repeat sixth grade....reasons above and beyond his problems with math.

OHRoadwarrior

This did not just occur at year end. What happened to review of report cards, tests and parent teacher conferences, throughout the year? I suggest you see if there is a math summer school offering for junior, so he can stay with his class.

Searchertwin

YOU haven't failed him, the teacher failed him. How well do you know if the teacher presented the material to where the child could understand? Did she rush through the program to meet HER requirements? Did she give examples, or just give worksheets? These are things YOU need to know.

Step back and have the school carry 2/3 of the failure. This is what Ohroadwarrior was talking about. Ask them WHY this was not discussed during those times.

You make the teacher stay after school to start teaching your child one on one. Don't take no for an answer.
Attend the math classes and see first hand how she presents the material. They cannot refuse you to sit in a class. You can go everyday if you have to.
Believe me, THEIR attitude will change. That teacher WILL do her job with you sitting in the class.

And for them not to pass the child, tell them to take a hike. In my opinion, your child will feel like a failure knowing HE HAD TO REPEAT the sixth grade over and seeing his friends move on.

Last edited:

Proserpina

YOU haven't failed him, the teacher failed him. How well do you know if the teacher presented the material to where the child could understand? Did she rush through the program to meet HER requirements? Did she give examples, or just give worksheets? These are things YOU need to know.

Step back and have the school carry 2/3 of the failure. This is what Ohroadwarrior was talking about. Ask them WHY this was not discussed during those times.

You make the teacher stay after school to start teaching your child one on one. Don't take no for an answer.
Attend the math classes and see first hand how she presents the material. They cannot refuse you to sit in a class. You can go everyday if you have to.
Believe me, THEIR attitude will change. That teacher WILL do her job with you sitting in the class.

And for them not to pass the child, tell them to take a hike. In my opinion, your child will feel like a failure knowing HE HAD TO REPEAT the sixth grade over and seeing his friends move on.

OP, you need to disregard this post completely.

I'mTheFather

YOU haven't failed him, the teacher failed him.
Aren't we jumping to conclusions? OP said her son has been struggling for years.
How well do you know if the teacher presented the material to where the child could understand? Did she rush through the program to meet HER requirements? Did she give examples, or just give worksheets? These are things YOU need to know.

OP never said it wasn't discussed. Assume much?
You make the teacher stay after school to start teaching your child one on one.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Don't take no for an answer.
HAHAHAHAHA!

Had to laugh there, too.
There may be some validity to that last statement, though it's highly dependent on the child... and the parent.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Yes, during the copious free time that all teachers have after they complete all their grading, lesson plans, extra curricular supervision, etc, etc, etc.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Do you have reason to believe that whether or not dad has joint custody changes a school's right to not pass a student to the next grade?
I have reason to believe that if dad has joint custody then that changes how OP must handle the situation and that she may not be able to just decide what it is SHE wants to do and go with that -- she would have to include dad. Therefore dad's opinion would matter. Hence, my question.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

OG,
Because if dad has joint custody, he has a right to decision making in the case of his son's education and it is not just up to you. He has a right to participate and his opinion (if he has joint legal custody) matters just as much as yours legally. Which means that dad would have as much right as you to make decisions regarding his child's education. As it is, dad could possibly take you back to court if he so desired because his child being held back could be enough of a change to trigger a custody fight and substantial change in circumstance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">