• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 8 yr old was verbally harassed by teacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJR02

State: Kentucky My 8 yr old son was verbally harassed and made fun of by his reading teacher. My husband had spoken to this teacher one morning about a homework assignment. When my son went to her class, the teacher said he was no longer part of her reading group because his dad yelled at her(which was a lie). She made him leave his seat with the group and sit by himself. She told him he had mental problems. When he began to cry, she called him a crybaby. When he looked at her she asked him if he had a staring problem. This continued for over an hour. A volunteer parent and another teacher went to the principal to warn her that something was going on in this classroom. The principal didn't come until after the classes had switched. My son had 3 asthma attacks that day due to the treatment of his reading teacher. I was not notified. I went to the school the next day to file a complaint. Also, other parents complained. The school's solution has been to switch my son's entire reading group with another reading group. So, instead of punishing this teacher, the school decide to give her a new group of children to harass and not inform any parents about this teacher. What can I do to make this teacher be held accountable for her behavior?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
DJR02 said:
What can I do to make this teacher be held accountable for her behavior?
How do you know she hasn't been? The school is under no obligation to inform you of any disciplinary measures.

dallas702

stealth2 said:
How do you know she hasn't been? The school is under no obligation to inform you of any disciplinary measures.

That's absolutely not true. Every school has a list of procedures to follow for every level of discipline. The parents are notified at the beginning of those steps. No teacher is allowed to act like a child and verbally abuse any student....especially an 8 year old, and ESPECIALLY in front of other students.

Start with the pricipal and work your way up. Let them know this won't be tolerated or swept away. You can get legal help if you need it.

This said...you better be darn sure of your facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJR02

My facts are straight

At first I wasn't sure that my son was telling the truth. I couldn't believe a teacher would say these things to an 8 yr old. So, I talked to several other parents and thier children told the same story as my son. Also, the school randomly interviewed children (with parental consent) and they too found the same story.

CincyJules

I had a problem with my son's teacher last year, when my son was 9. She was also verbally abusing him and making fun of him in front of the class. My son has ADHD, OCD and Tourettes Syndrome, and she made quite a few derogatory statements to him and about him to parent volunteers. The nail in the coffin was the fact that she also sent me quite a few emails that she had written when frustrated or mad at my son that were totally inappropriate. Clearly these helped me prove my "case".

The principal tried to handle it, but she continued the behavior so I went to Superintendent, and when that failed I petitioned the school board. Luckily by the time it all ended school was almost over and he was finished with her (and we moved him to a new school this year), but my plea was finally heard and she was formally disciplined. Just follow the course of action outlined by the school district and stand up for what you believe in. I never once threatened to sue, I just wanted her to know that she can't treat children this way. In the end she learned her lesson.

Hope that helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">