• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Child Cheated in Dekalb County

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allisonpowell69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Dekalb county Georgia- I want to know if I have a case against the county or state regarding my daughter's education. I live in a part of Dekalb county that is primarily an african american community and we are caucasian. With that said, my daughter, now 13 was the only white child in her school up until the fourth grade. Ever since the second grade I knew my daughter was having learning problems, but they continued to pass her up to the fifth grade. She was also picked on and bullied there so after that, I home schooled her for her second year of 5th grade. I then wrote the board of education, and they granted her a "hardship case" and I was able to place her in another school in dekalb county that had more diversity within the school. She is now in 6th grade,but the school she is now n is saying that she is so far behind in her learning that she should be kept back yet another year. I've had her tested and she is not learning disabled. I feel like she is so far behind in her learning because her school shouldn't have been passing her but they were afraid of holding her back because something might be said about it be a racial thing. So, now instead of keeping her back when they should have, she is now failing 6th grade and is at a fourth grade level. She has basically been cheated out of her education. Can they be held responsible?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Dekalb county Georgia- I want to know if I have a case against the county or state regarding my daughter's education. I live in a part of Dekalb county that is primarily an african american community and we are caucasian. With that said, my daughter, now 13 was the only white child in her school up until the fourth grade. Ever since the second grade I knew my daughter was having learning problems, but they continued to pass her up to the fifth grade. She was also picked on and bullied there so after that, I home schooled her for her second year of 5th grade. I then wrote the board of education, and they granted her a "hardship case" and I was able to place her in another school in dekalb county that had more diversity within the school. She is now in 6th grade,but the school she is now n is saying that she is so far behind in her learning that she should be kept back yet another year. I've had her tested and she is not learning disabled. I feel like she is so far behind in her learning because her school shouldn't have been passing her but they were afraid of holding her back because something might be said about it be a racial thing. So, now instead of keeping her back when they should have, she is now failing 6th grade and is at a fourth grade level. She has basically been cheated out of her education. Can they be held responsible?
You were aware for years that your child was having problems yet did nothing...Why you didn't get tutoring for your child is beyond me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There were many actions you could have taken earlier on if you were concerned about wrt her educational progress. What did you do when she was doing poorly and being promoted? (Besides deciding to homeschool her.)

commentator

How in these circumstances could you possibly demonstrate that it was the schooling she received before you homeschooled, and not the year of homeschooling that has put her so far behind? I have seen several cases of where a homeschooling situation was what caused the need for lots of catch up and extreme tutoring, not the school itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">