• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My degree is not accepted by Gov Organization its for and the school knew it wouldn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anonymouse319

I graduated several years ago from a college with a degree that was supposed to be good in certain countries. This last week, after months of paid lawyer fees in that country, I received the last denial to acceptance in the program for which my degree was supposed to be good for. The reason given to me was because my transcript did not meet the countries guidelines as too much of my credit was done in the US and not abroad (it’s supposed to be 50/50) and that my college was previously warned that if they graduated people using the classes they told me to take, they wouldn't be accepted. The government organization that I've been talking with did say that if my school would resubmit my transcript with the corrected hours, they would reconsider – which I did months ago (before I learned that the school had prior knowledge of what would happen to their students like me) and was denied. Given that I now have, in writing from the government of the country they are supposed to be certifying for, that the school knew, I tried to write a letter saying that I’m going to get a lawyer and sue if they don’t just do what the government asked and resubmit my transcript with the corrected hours. Below is my letter:

Dear XXX

My attorney just received the final denial of our appeal from XXX, Director of XXX, at the XXX. Again the XXX found that my degree, "does not meet the acceptability criteria agreed by our Council." According to that same ruling body, “XXX are aware of our criteria, and what they would mean for a student who had been allowed to graduate in his circumstances.” They then left the door open for the school to resubmit with the corrected information.

Given that the XXX was clear in repeatedly placing the liability on the school for knowingly not meeting their criteria, I would like to once again request that XXX revisit correcting the letter submitted to the XXX to reflect that the time I spent in XXX is greater than or equal to the educational time spent in XXX in the US. I have no choice but to follow this through to its end and hope that the school is willing to send the corrected letter so that we may all put this behind us before it becomes a matter of public interest.

I would appreciate a written and prompt response as to whether or not XXX is willing to send the corrected letter.

Sincerely,

I’m sure I messed up my legalese and am not sure if this is coming off as it should. I have spent a small fortune on lawyers in this other country and just want to use the degree that I spent years working on and will spend the next decade paying off. What should I add, take away, rephrase, etc. to make this more credible? I don’t have a US attorney yet, know that I will probably need one if this doesn't work, and have already spend my entire life savings getting this degree.

Any legal help or advice you can offer would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Help with a legal letter I writing to my college after finding out my degree doesn't meet the minimum criteria of the governing body it is supposed to be for and that they knew it wouldn't beforehand.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I graduated several years ago from a college with a degree that was supposed to be good in certain countries. This last week, after months of paid lawyer fees in that country, I received the last denial to acceptance in the program for which my degree was supposed to be good for. The reason given to me was because my transcript did not meet the countries guidelines as too much of my credit was done in the US and not abroad (it’s supposed to be 50/50) and that my college was previously warned that if they graduated people using the classes they told me to take, they wouldn't be accepted. The government organization that I've been talking with did say that if my school would resubmit my transcript with the corrected hours, they would reconsider – which I did months ago (before I learned that the school had prior knowledge of what would happen to their students like me) and was denied. Given that I now have, in writing from the government of the country they are supposed to be certifying for, that the school knew, I tried to write a letter saying that I’m going to get a lawyer and sue if they don’t just do what the government asked and resubmit my transcript with the corrected hours. Below is my letter:

Dear XXX

My attorney just received the final denial of our appeal from XXX, Director of XXX, at the XXX. Again the XXX found that my degree, "does not meet the acceptability criteria agreed by our Council." According to that same ruling body, “XXX are aware of our criteria, and what they would mean for a student who had been allowed to graduate in his circumstances.” They then left the door open for the school to resubmit with the corrected information.

Given that the XXX was clear in repeatedly placing the liability on the school for knowingly not meeting their criteria, I would like to once again request that XXX revisit correcting the letter submitted to the XXX to reflect that the time I spent in XXX is greater than or equal to the educational time spent in XXX in the US. I have no choice but to follow this through to its end and hope that the school is willing to send the corrected letter so that we may all put this behind us before it becomes a matter of public interest.

I would appreciate a written and prompt response as to whether or not XXX is willing to send the corrected letter.

Sincerely,

I’m sure I messed up my legalese and am not sure if this is coming off as it should. I have spent a small fortune on lawyers in this other country and just want to use the degree that I spent years working on and will spend the next decade paying off. What should I add, take away, rephrase, etc. to make this more credible? I don’t have a US attorney yet, know that I will probably need one if this doesn't work, and have already spend my entire life savings getting this degree.

Any legal help or advice you can offer would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Help with a legal letter I writing to my college after finding out my degree doesn't meet the minimum criteria of the governing body it is supposed to be for and that they knew it wouldn't beforehand.
What is the name of your state? (US Law ONLY.) :cool:

Anonymouse319

I live in South Carolina, but my school is in Florida.

They already knowingly lied to me when putting me through a degree program that did not meet the minimum criteria of the government institution it was for. What would you suggest I do?

FlyingRon

What countries are we talking about? Unless the school is in the US, it's outside the scope of this forum.
If it is, you'll have to provide some details about what programs/representations the US school made you about what they were offering you.

Proserpina

I live in South Carolina, but my school is in Florida.

They already knowingly lied to me when putting me through a degree program that did not meet the minimum criteria of the government institution it was for. What would you suggest I do?

When YOU called the relevant government institution to check out their requirements prior to your enrollment, what did they tell you?

Anonymouse319

The school is located in the United States and the country the degree is supposed to be good for is in the United Kingdom. Prior to attending the school, I contacted the government organization and the school was in good standing. It was only during my attendance that the requirements changed, with the school not changing to match the new requirements quick enough. They have since changed their curriculum to comply, but only after graduating some students with non-compatible degrees. It was only during my application process to enter the program that I found out about both the change and that my school not only was not compliant, but had been warned of such.

You Are Guilty

What written documentation (or other evidence) do you have that your school guaranteed your degree would be compatible/acceptable to the UK program?

Anonymouse319

It is a US and UK accredited Caribbean med school with headquarters in the US who confer MDs for both in both the US and UK. They have advertised as such throughout their entire history any have graduated thousands of doctors for both the US and UK. I just happen to graduate during a very small period of time where the college was not graduating doctors that met the criteria for the UK program. According to the UK government organization that I've been dealing with, my college was made aware of the problem, its inevitable outcomes for the potential graduates involved, and did not deal with it in a timely enough manner or inform us of the issue.

Proserpina

It is a US and UK accredited Caribbean med school with headquarters in the US who confer MDs for both in both the US and UK. They have advertised as such throughout their entire history any have graduated thousands of doctors for both the US and UK. I just happen to graduate during a very small period of time where the college was not graduating doctors that met the criteria for the UK program. According to the UK government organization that I've been dealing with, my college was made aware of the problem, its inevitable outcomes for the potential graduates involved, and did not deal with it in a timely enough manner or inform us of the issue.

I'm a Brit.

I have to ask, which UK gov. org. was this? Because there are a couple of holes here that indicate you have no recourse whatsoever.

And please let us know who accredited the school - it MATTERS. There is a reason why I'm asking that.

Anonymouse319

The GMC. The last denial came directly from the Director. I have yet to be able to even apply for the Foundation Programme because my credentials cannot be approved because they do not meet the minimum 50/50 criteria of the GMC. I have more clinical rotation hours than basic science, and the GMC has ruled that these extra hours count to offset the 50/50 balance, regardless of whether or not it was part of the school's curriculum or the fact that the hours are above and beyond the minimum necessary for acceptance into the Programme. My graduating school is St. Matthews University and my degree is an MD.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did you really not keep track of the requirements for the profession you intended to enter?

Proserpina

The GMC. The last denial came directly from the Director. I have yet to be able to even apply for the Foundation Programme because my credentials cannot be approved because they do not meet the minimum 50/50 criteria of the GMC. I have more clinical rotation hours than basic science, and the GMC has ruled that these extra hours count to offset the 50/50 balance, regardless of whether or not it was part of the school's curriculum or the fact that the hours are above and beyond the minimum necessary for acceptance into the Programme. My graduating school is St. Matthews University and my degree is an MD.

I asked WHO accredited your school.

You stated that your school was accredited by both the UK and the US. Please clarify.

You Are Guilty

Interesting, and probably no simple solution.

Presumably, there are several other students who were similarly situated as you. There is often strength in numbers. I would suggest you seek them out before forming a further plan of attack.

Proserpina

Interesting, and probably no simple solution.

Presumably, there are several other students who were similarly situated as you. There is often strength in numbers. I would suggest you seek them out before forming a further plan of attack.

I'm trying SO hard, YAG. I really am.

But honestly, this OP is just not understanding. For one thing: the GMC does NOT confer accreditation in the manner this OP perceives.

Aw heck, I'll even offer a bone:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/awarding_bodies.asp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">