• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my med-school is harassing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srinuganla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? school is situated in Caribbean ice-lands. i am doing residency in Michigan state.

basic information: the president of med-school is my uncle ( my mother's elder brother)

because of some property issues, he targeted my residency, i am in 1st year. i completed my med school in 2007. i dont have any connection with xxxx university after my graduation in 2007.

he is forcing my mother to write total property on his name, otherwise the med-school is going to withdraw my credits which i earned. he is giving warning of contacting eras, nrmp, acgme.

he sent one letter to me: in that letter he is mentioning that:

"This is to inform you concerning the issues relating to Academic Integrity, Financial Commitments and other charges on you which were discussed at its Educational committees monthly meeting.
You would be required to appear in front of the committee at Campus on Sept 30th 2013.
This notice is for your travel arrangements only. A formal letter from the Dean’s office is on the way by FedEx. Please make necessary arrangements with your program director for doing the same.
If you require the assistance of the Dean’s office concerning this matter in speaking to the program director for your leave of absence, xxxxx University would assist you in the same.
Failure to attend the Educational committee will result in a unanimous decision. A letter will also be sent to your Family Practice program, ECFMG, Michigan State Medical Board and NRMP withdrawing of sponsorship by xxx university.
The degree and credits earned by you is the property of university. xxxx University reserves the right to withdraw all credentials if found guilty by the Educational committee."

during my med-school i did not pay any money because, he is my uncle and with my good grades i studied as scholarship candidate, but i dont have any document to prove myself as scholarship candidate.
now he is asking 75,000 dollars as fee.

i would like to fight against him legally. please advice me to whom i need to contact. how to approach this type of internationally linked education case as my school situated in out of the usa. but med students from it, do rotations in various hospitals in usa. my home town is chicago and springfield illinois and i am doing residency in Michigan near to Detroit. please advise any specific lawyers in Chicago or Detroit area. I gathered every information to support my self, but i am waiting for legal method to approach. please guide me.

i send the response to his emial that i need some more time and my program not giving me leave of absence.

i spoke with my residency director. she is very supportive for me. advise me.

thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You waited until the day before you are to appear in the Caribbean? You better be on a plane. What evidence do you have that you graduated from this med school?

srinuganla

i graduated from that school and i have transcripts and degree certificates, marks memo, my clerkship certificate. everything i have. based on my degree i got my residency

srinuganla

school is situated out side of usa, is it possible to file a case in usa as i am doing residency in michigan state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
school is situated out side of usa, is it possible to file a case in usa as i am doing residency in michigan state.
No - you need to deal with the legal issues THERE.

What time is your flight? Are you writing this from your phone at the airport?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since the school is not located in the USA, the USA has no jurisdiction. You cannot use the US legal system. No matter where you are currently located.

Period.

OHRoadwarrior

Sounds like you have a Caribbean Standoff. $75k for a medical degree is a no brainer. Personally, I would consider the inside track to get into school and obtain your degree because of a family in to have failed and come up with a payment agreement. The cost to fight and lose is high. It sounds like your uncle directed your scholarship and your family has fallen out of political favor.

srinuganla

i got my degree in 2007. but he is raising these issues in last 1 week only. since 2007 i did not have any connection with med-school after my graduation. now i am doing residency. my program dis not allow me to go to that country. i am still in michigan, i requested them to consider and talk with my program.but they are not willing to**************..
how can i approach???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i got my degree in 2007. but he is raising these issues in last 1 week only. since 2007 i did not have any connection with med-school after my graduation. now i am doing residency. my program dis not allow me to go to that country. i am still in michigan, i requested them to consider and talk with my program.but they are not willing to**************..
how can i approach???
Seems to me that you can approach it there (in the Caribbean) using their legal system. This forum is for US law only.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">