• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My School Will Not Accommodate My Mandatory Religious Headwear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SikhInNeed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I follow the religion of Sikhism wherein it is mandated for all males to wear a turban. I never go out in public without my head being covered, only ever taking off my turban in the evenings when I am retiring to my home for the remainder of the day. My local high school will not allow me to wear my turban or cover my head, as their dress code has a no-hats policy. As to my understandings, accommodations have been are continue to be made for individuals such as myself, and I am aware of another school in the state of Georgia that allows a Sikh student to cover his head. I simply cannot and will not be able to comply with being told to remove my head wear. What are my options? Should I reach out to an organization or should I attempt to sue?

Proserpina

I follow the religion of Sikhism wherein it is mandated for all males to wear a turban. I never go out in public without my head being covered, only ever taking off my turban in the evenings when I am retiring to my home for the remainder of the day. My local high school will not allow me to wear my turban or cover my head, as their dress code has a no-hats policy. As to my understandings, accommodations have been are continue to be made for individuals such as myself, and I am aware of another school in the state of Georgia that allows a Sikh student to cover his head. I simply cannot and will not be able to comply with being told to remove my head wear. What are my options? Should I reach out to an organization or should I attempt to sue?

If you're not yet an adult, have your parents contact the school directly first and get the school's response in writing with an explanation of why they are banning the turban. If there is no resolution, they should speak with an education attorney familiar with the subject.

If you're an adult, follow the instructions yourself.

The first move should very rarely be going directly to the court-house.

CdwJava

You are a long way from any legal action. First, have your parents ask to speak with the principal and lay out the reasons for the head covering to him or her. The principal or the school superintendent should realize that they will likely be required to accommodate this. I suspect that whoever you have spoken with so far either (a) doesn't understand the law and the exceptions that must generally be made, or, (b) they do not believe that you are an adherent of Sikhism for some reason. It would be best to clarify the matter now, and peaceably, rather than go through the expense and antagonism inherent with a legal fight.

quincy

You can reach out to the organization that single317dad linked to or you can contact the Sikh Coalition (http://www.sikhcoalition.org/) or you can contact Georgia's ACLU (http://www.acluga.org/) but you or your parents first might want to remind your local high school of the Department of Justice's settlement with the DeKalb County School District near Atlanta last year.

Here is a link to information on the settlement:
http://www.sikhcoalition.org/advisories/2014/doj-settlement-of-sikh-complaint-will-protect-100000-school-children

I am surprised that your high school has reacted to your wearing of a turban as they have. Good luck.

Another link to the ACLU and its defense of religious practice and expression:
https://www.aclu.org/aclu-defense-religious-practice-and-expression

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

Wow, I'm equally surprised. Actually, I'm shocked, and for that reason, I'd skip all the other options and head straight for the DOJ. I think that's the quickest route to resolution.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/publications/natorigin2.php#edu

CdwJava

Courts will almost always require that you exhaust other due process before you can even walk in the door. We don't know that the OP has even ASKED the administration about the matter! Perhaps all he did was ask a secretary or a counselor - maybe just a teacher - about the headwear.

Before this matter will be heard by a court, he will have to take the lesser steps. Clearly, if he is a Sikh, he can wear the headress, and any administrator worthy of the title will know that. This matter can be resolved without spending thousands of dollars on attorneys and making headlines.

quincy

... This matter can be resolved without spending thousands of dollars on attorneys and making headlines.
You think this matter can be resolved without spending thousands of dollars on attorneys and making headlines. ;)

No school district in Georgia can believably claim ignorance of the law at this point.

CdwJava

Kirpans are a bigger problem. The NYC board of education allowed them to be carried when they are secured so that they can't be drawn.
Out here they have tended to allow them with specific restrictions. In one case it had to be dulled, seal them into sheaths, and have a blade of only 2 inches. The specific policy can vary to some degree by district. Other accommodations have been made including using specially designed pins or pocket knifes, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">