• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new meningitis vaccine law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zkorxim

I was recently admitted to the University of Texas at Dallas. There is a new Texas Law that came into effect this year. It states that all students must have gotten the meningitis vaccine no later than 10 days before the start of classes. I was planning on getting it last month, but I had to attend to a family emergency out of the country. I just came back 2 days ago, and I saw that my registration had a hold on it(It was 5 days before the start of classes). I read the state law. and it said that if a student has unique and justifiable circumstances, the institution can extend the vaccination date up to 10 days AFTER the first day of classes. I got my vaccine, and emailed all the necessary documents to the University Registrar. She said that she couldn't take away the hold since it was past the 10 days mark. I gave her the excerpt from the state bill where it said that she can extend my date. Again, she refused, saying that even 10 days after my vaccine, it was long past the registration deadline. I talked to my academic advisor, and she said, that 10 days after my vaccination, I can still register in the late registration. I told this to the registrar, and again she refused to comply saying that the late registration was for those who got the vaccine 10 days before the first day of classes. I feel cheated out of a semester of college because of some unfortunate circumstance in my family, and convoluted University procedure. Legally, the registrar can lift my hold 10 days after I got the vaccine, which would still allow me to join the late registration. Yet she is choosing not to due to some shady University procedure(why would they have a late registration if not for circumstances like these?). IS there anything I can do?

Proserpina

I haven't looked up the statute myself.

But there is a vast difference between the word "can" and the word "shall".

So - do you have the verbiage handy?

zkorxim

This is from the Texas SB1107

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, in consultation with institutions of higher education and private or independent institutions of higher education, shall adopt rules for the administration of this section, including rules establishing the date by which a student who is required to comply with Subsection (c) must have received the vaccination required by that subsection, which may not be later than the 10th day before the first day of the semester or other term in which the student initially enrolls unless the student is granted an extension by the institution as provided by the rules adopted under this subsection. The rules must authorize an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education to extend the compliance date for an individual student to a date that is not later than the 10th day after the first day of the semester or other term in which the student initially enrolls

ecmst12

You didn't post all of the relevent text but it does not appear to say that they are REQUIRED to grant an exception.

zkorxim

I met with the registrar today and we were able to come to an agreement. I will be allowed to attend the University this semester. Thanks anyways for taking the time to read my post.

Humusluvr

This is from the Texas SB1107

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, in consultation with institutions of higher education and private or independent institutions of higher education, shall adopt rules for the administration of this section, including rules establishing the date by which a student who is required to comply with Subsection (c) must have received the vaccination required by that subsection, which may not be later than the 10th day before the first day of the semester or other term in which the student initially enrolls unless the student is granted an extension by the institution as provided by the rules adopted under this subsection. The rules must authorize an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education to extend the compliance date for an individual student to a date that is not later than the 10th day after the first day of the semester or other term in which the student initially enrolls
The school does have a legitimate reason to deny students from entering if they haven't gotten the vaccine. Meningitis can rip through a dormitory, and when students live in such close quarters, often under stress, not eating right, partying, and getting worn out, meningitis will be deadly. You have to understand the school looking out for the student body as a whole. Think about this in terms of the bigger picture - not just about what you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">