• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are NJ parents required to pay for college for children?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SheScreamsInSil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Was talking with a friend and he said that NJ parents were required to pay for college for their children.

I told him that I thought that only applied in the case where parents were divorced and there was something in the divorce papers that mandated that.

He disagreed. He said that whatever tuition money the student can not come up with through grants, scholarships and loans--NJ law requires that the parents pay. (We're NOT talking divorced parents here.)

I searched on the 'net, but I couldn't find links that DIDN'T involve divorced parents. Anyway, I'll keep searching, but I wondered if anyone had any info?

Just curious here. Not married. No kids. Not sending the dog to college any time soon.

Antigone*

Was talking with a friend and he said that NJ parents were required to pay for college for their children.

I told him that I thought that only applied in the case where parents were divorced and there was something in the divorce papers that mandated that.

He disagreed. He said that whatever tuition money the student can not come up with through grants, scholarships and loans--NJ law requires that the parents pay. (We're NOT talking divorced parents here.)

I searched on the 'net, but I couldn't find links that DIDN'T involve divorced parents. Anyway, I'll keep searching, but I wondered if anyone had any info?

Just curious here. Not married. No kids. Not sending the dog to college any time soon.
Ask you friend to cite his source and if he cannot then you know he is full of malarky.

There is no state in the Union that requires parents to pay for college. Unless, of course, there is an agreement between the parents (i.e. court order) to do so.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your friend's full of it. My son's in college. No one is requiring me to pay squat. Oh, and yes - I am in NJ.

ecmst12

The FAFSA will give you the "expected family contribution" that the family should be able to afford...but that doesn't mean they have any legal obligation to pay it.

sure ... and ya gotta pay for my kids too

Want to send your kid to college? Drive him to the recuiters office lol

SheScreamsInSil

That's kinda what I thought! But sometimes, there are things I find grossly unfair and silly, and those things are actually laws. So I figured it couldn't hurt to check. Thanks folks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">