+ Reply to Thread
    SheScreamsInSil is offline Junior Member

Are NJ parents required to pay for college for children?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Was talking with a friend and he said that NJ parents were required to pay for college for their children.

I told him that I thought that only applied in the case where parents were divorced and there was something in the divorce papers that mandated that.

He disagreed. He said that whatever tuition money the student can not come up with through grants, scholarships and loans--NJ law requires that the parents pay. (We're NOT talking divorced parents here.)

I searched on the 'net, but I couldn't find links that DIDN'T involve divorced parents. Anyway, I'll keep searching, but I wondered if anyone had any info?

Just curious here. Not married. No kids. Not sending the dog to college any time soon.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by SheScreamsInSil View Post

Was talking with a friend and he said that NJ parents were required to pay for college for their children.

I told him that I thought that only applied in the case where parents were divorced and there was something in the divorce papers that mandated that.

He disagreed. He said that whatever tuition money the student can not come up with through grants, scholarships and loans--NJ law requires that the parents pay. (We're NOT talking divorced parents here.)

I searched on the 'net, but I couldn't find links that DIDN'T involve divorced parents. Anyway, I'll keep searching, but I wondered if anyone had any info?

Just curious here. Not married. No kids. Not sending the dog to college any time soon.
    Ask you friend to cite his source and if he cannot then you know he is full of malarky.

There is no state in the Union that requires parents to pay for college. Unless, of course, there is an agreement between the parents (i.e. court order) to do so.
    Last edited by Antigone*; 09-07-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Your friend's full of it. My son's in college. No one is requiring me to pay squat. Oh, and yes - I am in NJ.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    The FAFSA will give you the "expected family contribution" that the family should be able to afford...but that doesn't mean they have any legal obligation to pay it.

sure ... and ya gotta pay for my kids too

Quote Originally Posted by SheScreamsInSil View Post

Want to send your kid to college? Drive him to the recuiters office lol
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah send him to college in a body bag, great idea.
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmst12 View Post
    Yeah send him to college in a body bag, great idea.

Consider the source
    SheScreamsInSil is offline Junior Member
    That's kinda what I thought! But sometimes, there are things I find grossly unfair and silly, and those things are actually laws. So I figured it couldn't hurt to check. Thanks folks!