• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is NY State Education Law being violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mozi

My school recently created a personal account on facebook and sent friend requests to the vast majority of students as well a facebook fan page. It is generally believed among students that the purpose of the page is to monitor student's usage on the social networking site. If it is indeed the case that that is the purpose of the page, is New York State Education Law beyond violated in any way? what do you think about it..??? share here

Last edited:

Just Blue

My school recently created a personal account on facebook and sent friend requests to the vast majority of students as well a facebook fan page. It is generally believed among students that the purpose of the page is to monitor student's usage on the social networking site. If it is indeed the case that that is the purpose of the page, is New York State Education Law beyond violated in any way? what do you think about it..??? share here
I suggest you hire an attorney to ask.

Antigone*

So ignore the friend request:rolleyes:

Ben T

Seriously - what would be the purpose of a school using Facebook as a method of surveillance? If anything, I would imagine it's just a simple method to get the word out there now that kids rely so heavily on their little devices vs. actually doing something like reading the paper, asking someone, looking around them or other. Makes sense as these devices are glued to their hands, eyes and grafted to their brains.

Additionally, any net-savvy kid isn't going to spend much time on a school sponsored social media site. Hence, Facebook is losing it's appeal and to some degree becoming passe. Much like the "uncoolness" of seeing their parents using social media, language and construed as being "helicopter-like." :D

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

When are you going to get that kids are always following in their parents footsteps, regardless of how they like to think they came up with the ideas. :rolleyes:

Seriously - what would be the purpose of a school using Facebook as a method of surveillance? If anything, I would imagine it's just a simple method to get the word out there now that kids rely so heavily on their little devices vs. actually doing something like reading the paper, asking someone, looking around them or other. Makes sense as these devices are glued to their hands, eyes and grafted to their brains.

Additionally, any net-savvy kid isn't going to spend much time on a school sponsored social media site. Hence, Facebook is losing it's appeal and to some degree becoming passe. Much like the "uncoolness" of seeing their parents using social media, language and construed as being "helicopter-like." :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">