• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One semester of school... what are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jackie957

Hi there,

I live in Illinois. A couple years ago I took one semester of school at a local university. However, going back to school was a last-minute decision and thus I filed for financial aid late. For some reason, despite all my best efforts, financial aid did not go through. As such, the school did not allow me to return until I paid for that first semester and so ultimately, I did not continue with school.

Now I am being harassed by a debt collector for a little under $5k for that single semester of school that I took. Aside from a modicum of knowledge, I didn't gain anything by going to school that semester. I have nothing to show for it and can't go back. I wish I could just eliminate those credits from my history.

I really can not foresee myself paying this money... I am certainly not in the position to do so. So my question is, do I have ANY options of eliminating this debt? Anything I can work out with the school? IS it possible to strike the credits from my record? And if I don't pay, what's the worst that can happen to me?

Really appreciate the help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Duplicate Post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/debt-collections-84/one-semester-school-what-my-options-609811.html

Jackie957

You're right, I'm sorry. I wasn't sure if this question was more appropriate for the Education section or the Debt Collection section and I am desperate for advice. Whichever one is the least relevant can be deleted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">