• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online School Misleading their students and their grades

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skills697

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hello, I was an IT guy and computer programmer for an online college which is accredited and recieves federal and state funding for its students. In April, I had come accross a major issue in the code of one of their websites that calculates all of our students grades, that I didn't actually program myself. All of their grades are weighted in a very specific way when they calculate their student's final overall grades. I had typed out a report outlining the math behind the issue and how it was miscalculating all of their final grades for every student by as much as 5% plus or minus the actual score. They decided to ignore the issue as I had outlined that changing the system would leave it in a position to be easily exposed. I had let this go on for a few more months till I proposed a new grading system to them which removes the weighting system and its various complexities that are causing a lot of confusion among students. They still ignored the issue and moved on without changing it. All together they have been using this grading system for over 2 and a half years now.

Well then they went behind my back and tried cutting my access to our system off today, because according to them they can't trust me. SO I decided to quit the company right then and there. I couldn't just walk out because my personal laptop and several of my personal hard drives all had sensitive data on it of theirs. I refused to leave the office without my laptop so we quickly got the data off of it and they signed a document agreeing to give my hard drives back when they we're done getting sensitive data off of them at a later date. Those hard drives contain all of my backup data and alot of my own personal information on them. While in the process of getting the data off my laptop I threatened to go public to their accreditors and funding sources with that information on it. They said to "just do it." They also had me sign some document stating that all their information was off my computer and on another line that said I wouldn't attempt to access any of their websites to gain any information. They tried getting me to sign a document that stated I intended to "sabotage" them as a company which I didn't sign.

I then immediately took my laptop and went home and recovered all of the deleted data off my laptop's hard drive which they didn't delete in such a way that was "unrecoverable." Once I did that I sent all of the information that was incriminating them on their miscalculation of grades to several safe and trusted places, which included database copies and all the system's scripts as well as the document that detailed how it worked and why it was off. I then made the mistake of sending a text to one of my coworkers that they didn't delete the data right, but didn't state that I ever recovered this information. I then received text messages from my boss stating he took a picture of the text and sent it to the police and lawyers and has gone and filed a police report on me for possessing my laptop. He also said the police we're going to come and seize my laptop.

I have reason to be very scared over what this company may try and do to me. They could go to any lengths to prevent this information from going public which I fully intend on doing. I am unsure of what kind of legal position I am in if they try and come after me. So I need someone's help who can tell me what I should do, and what they can and most likely will do to try and stop me.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide me.

OHRoadwarrior

I then made the mistake of sending a text to one of my coworkers that they didn't delete the data right, but didn't state that I ever recovered this information.
Any computer literate person knows that unless you use a multiple rewrite program, the data can be recovered. If you are questioned, I would explain this as the basis of your message, then exercise your right to remain silent.

Whatever you do, I would not mirror the hard drive, change the hard drive, change the system time and re-delete the info in case your laptop is seized. This would be unethical and illegal. :cool:

Mass_Shyster

You realize you can be criminally charged for stealing their information, don't you? Publishing that information will only increase their desire to see you punished.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not a lawyer, and this is not the area of law that I have to be familiar with for my job. But from what little I do know of law in this area, if I WERE a lawyer and this went to court, I'd rather be representing them than you.

Mass_Shyster

I am not a lawyer, and this is not the area of law that I have to be familiar with for my job. But from what little I do know of law in this area, if I WERE a lawyer and this went to court, I'd rather be representing them than you.
See, that's why you would make a lousy lawyer. :)

Representing the employer, you only have one trial to bill for. Representing the employee, you have both the civil trial AND the criminal trial.

TigerD

See, that's why you would make a lousy lawyer. :)

Representing the employer, you only have one trial to bill for. Representing the employee, you have both the civil trial AND the criminal trial.
The problem with that is that the company can afford to pay $275 an hour and the former employee can't. Billing for two trials is pointless if the billee has no money.

DC

justalayman

I then immediately took my laptop and went home and recovered all of the deleted data off my laptop's hard drive which they didn't delete in such a way that was "unrecoverable."
so, due to that knowledge, when you signed this:

They also had me sign some document stating that all their information was off my computer
it was a lie, right? The fact you went home and immediately recovered the info shows knowledge that, as far as you were concerned, the information was still on your computer and the fact you recovered it proves the statement you signed was a lie.

I am unsure of what kind of legal position I am in if they try and come after me.
a really bad one.

the first thing you should look at; is what they are doing with the grades simply contrary to what you believe is proper or is what they are doing actually criminal in some way. If it isn't criminal, you are seriously overstepping your place in this issue and I suspect it will bite you quite hard.

Well then they went behind my back and tried cutting my access to our system off today, because according to them they can't trust me.
seems like you have proven their concerns to be true.

skills697

Any computer literate person knows that unless you use a multiple rewrite program, the data can be recovered. If you are questioned, I would explain this as the basis of your message, then exercise your right to remain silent.

Whatever you do, I would not mirror the hard drive, change the hard drive, change the system time and re-delete the info in case your laptop is seized. This would be unethical and illegal. :cool:
Well I only took what data was there to incriminate them, and then went and scrambled the rest of the hard drive space which made up what was left of their deleted files. I am not at all interested in stealing anyone's information beyond what is necessary to prove my point of the argument.

justalayman said:
ME said:
They also had me sign some document stating that all their information was off my computer
it was a lie, right? The fact you went home and immediately recovered the info shows knowledge that, as far as you were concerned, the information was still on your computer and the fact you recovered it proves the statement you signed was a lie.
OK so what do I do about it to protect myself? If I believe them when they say they already filed a police report on this, then is it too late for me to try and do nothing with the information? They could just be trying to scare me but I have no way to be certain.

quincy

. . . .the first thing you should look at; is what they are doing with the grades simply contrary to what you believe is proper or is what they are doing actually criminal in some way. If it isn't criminal, you are seriously overstepping your place in this issue and I suspect it will bite you quite hard. . . .
What do you do to protect yourself at this point? The protection you may have is to consider what justalayman said (quoted above) and be able to honestly say that what the school was doing with the grades was criminal. If it isn't, I agree with justalayman's assessment.

I suggest you consult with an attorney in your area for a review of all of the facts. An attorney will be especially vital if the police contact you about your computer and its contents, or seize your computer and its contents, or if you are arrested, or if you are served with a complaint indicating you are being sued, but it is probably wise to speak with an attorney before any of these events occur (if they do).

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I then immediately took my laptop and went home and recovered all of the deleted data off my laptop's hard drive which they didn't delete in such a way that was "unrecoverable."

What was your plan when you did this? What was your ultimate goal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">