• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental demand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frylover

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I know that parents have a legal right to their children's school records and can't be forbidden to take part in activities, trips, etc on the say-so of the other parent. But do they have a legal right to visit in their child's class anytime they want?

Proserpina

I know that parents have a legal right to their children's school records and can't be forbidden to take part in activities, trips, etc on the say-so of the other parent. But do they have a legal right to visit in their child's class anytime they want?

Legally, there's nothing stopping the parent. But the school might have something to say about it.

frylover

Legally, there's nothing stopping the parent. But the school might have something to say about it.[/QUOTE

Thanks Pro :)

I am trying not to be too specific on-line. But let me phrase the question this way. Can a lawyer force a school to comply with a request like this. as long as this parent is not being singled out in not being allowed to?

justalayman

a lawyer cannot force a school to do anything. The lawyer can ask the court to order it be allowed. If a court would or not is going to depend on the specifics of the situation. You do not want to reveal much so it is going to be really difficult to give you much of an answer.

LdiJ

A great deal really does depend on exactly what the court orders say. A lawyer cannot make a school do any one particular thing, but a lawyer could get a judge to order the custodial parent to make sure that the ncp had full access to the children at school (for example).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Does the school allow other parents access to the child's class anytime they want? If so then the NCP must be allowed access.

Searchertwin

Let's just say, if you pay school taxes, you can visit the classroom at any time you feel you need to. I've even went so far to peek and listen next to the door to hear what goes on. But I did tell them I would do that. I just didn't walk in.

But after seeing son running down the hall, yelling and jumping, I just turn around and left, never to be heard from again.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Let's just say, if you pay school taxes, you can visit the classroom at any time you feel you need to.

So parents who don't pay taxes (for whatever reason) can't visit the classroom?

Or that people who do pay school taxes but don't have children in the school in question - they can go and visit whenever they wish?

Interesting perspective you have there.

justalayman

Let's just say, if you pay school taxes, you can visit the classroom at any time you feel you need to. You can view your child's records. But I would inform them ahead of time of your visit to keep it pleasant.
what if the parent of concern is from out of state?

and no, even taxpayers cannot visit the classroom anytime they want. There are rules.

I'mTheFather

Let's just say, if you pay school taxes, you can visit the classroom at any time you feel you need to. I've even went so far to peek and listen next to the door to hear what goes on. But I did tell them I would do that. I just didn't walk in.

But after seeing son running down the hall, yelling and jumping, I just turn around and left, never to be heard from again.
???????????????????

How many times is this post going to change (and get stranger and stranger)?

Searchertwin

So parents who don't pay taxes (for whatever reason) can't visit the classroom?

Or that people who do pay school taxes but don't have children in the school in question - they can go and visit whenever they wish?

Interesting perspective you have there.
I can see how you read it that way. It wasn't meant that way. Pay or not, one still can

Second part, yes, I don't have children, I have grandchildren and I go whenever I please. And yes, I have done that.

I'mTheFather

I can see how you read it that way. It wasn't meant that way. Pay or not, one still can

Second part, yes, I don't have children, I have grandchildren and I go whenever I please. And yes, I have done that.
Unless you have custody or guardianship of your grandchildren, you have no inherent right to visit the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">