• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parties after prom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xteer76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

How much reach does a public school really have in controlling/punishing for parties that are held following prom, in a completely separate location?

If people were to leave prom, separately, going in different directions, and meet an hour later, probably not even wearing prom clothes, at an entirely different location - how is it any business of the school and not the same as some other Saturday night?

When does the school's responsibility for kids end - when they leave/go home with parents?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

How much reach does a public school really have in controlling/punishing for parties that are held following prom, in a completely separate location?

If people were to leave prom, separately, going in different directions, and meet an hour later, probably not even wearing prom clothes, at an entirely different location - how is it any business of the school and not the same as some other Saturday night?

When does the school's responsibility for kids end - when they leave/go home with parents?
That is a bit of a ticklish question, and people have pretty strong feelings on it both ways. In my opinion, a school has no right to determine what a student does when the student is not on the school property or not on a school chaperoned/sponsored trip.

The school doesn't choose which restaurant the couple has dinner at before prom, and they equally should not be determining where or if the couple chooses to socialize after prom. That is the right of the various parents to decide.

ecmst12

However, they are completely free to enforce consequences for engaging in illegal activities whether on or off campus, before/during/or after a school sponsored activity. Enjoy your prom and after-prom activities sober - you will have plenty of time to get trashed once you're in college.

xteer76

However, they are completely free to enforce consequences for engaging in illegal activities whether on or off campus, before/during/or after a school sponsored activity. Enjoy your prom and after-prom activities sober - you will have plenty of time to get trashed once you're in college.

How do you determine when "after" is...over, I guess. If every kid is back in parent's care, wouldn't the school event be over?

If we got up on Sunday and had champagne breakfast - is that still 'after a school sponsored activity'? Or only events on the night? Where's the line?

Is there a definition of "after a school sponsored activity"?

ecmst12

Drinking alcohol is illegal if you are under 21. Doesn't matter what day you do it. School can enforce consequences for breaking the law. Just don't do it! Or be prepared to face the consequenced, including losing your drivers license, gaining a criminal record, or not being allowed to participate in graduation. Is it really worth it?

"After" means after. Could be an hour, a day, or a week after.

xteer76

Drinking alcohol is illegal if you are under 21. Doesn't matter what day you do it. School can enforce consequences for breaking the law. Just don't do it! Or be prepared to face the consequenced, including losing your drivers license, gaining a criminal record, or not being allowed to participate in graduation. Is it really worth it?

"After" means after. Could be an hour, a day, or a week after.
There is nothing in the student handbook that states the school will enforce consequences any time that someone breaks the law when it doesn't involve the school.

Our prom contracts only mention arriving at the prom under the influence or being in possession of substances at the prom. No mention of after. That's what everyone has signed.

The principal has made a verbal comment regarding "unofficial" after parties. No new contracts involved. Just verbal comments/threats.

I call bs that a school can say that a party held a week after prom is a prom after party.

OHRoadwarrior

Schools have routinely exercised their ability to remove student from sports activities and enforced other punishments for activities they feel can have a negative impact on safety in the school.

ecmst12

If you want to take the chance, go right ahead. If you get caught, I think you will lose. It's probably not worth it.

xteer76

Schools have routinely exercised their ability to remove student from sports activities and enforced other punishments for activities they feel can have a negative impact on safety in the school.
This is true. But - there are student athletic contracts that people sign which address this. Sure, those people have signed contracts that mention consequences for even being around alcohol. But not every student has signed that contract.

When the school wrote up their prom contract I don't think they simply forgot to include anything about post-prom parties. I think it wasn't included because it's beyond their reach once a student is "released" into their parents custody.

Should a principal's verbal threats be considered the same as a contract that's been signed?

You could appeal a punishment decision to the school district or something, right?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sure you could. But how likely do you think it is that the school district will overturn a decision to discipline you for breaking the law?

ecmst12

If you break the law (as well as the school's code of conduct), why on earth do you think you would have ANY leg to stand on fighting your punishment? You want to stand in front of the school board and admit that you broke the law but you shouldn't have to face the consequences because of when it happened? All that would do is make you even more likely to be prosecuted criminally (and your parents with you, if they were complicit). Grow up. If you can't enjoy a party sober, you will NEVER survive college.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And she means "survive" in the literal sense. Want to see a list of college students who have died in recent years due to alcohol related reasons?

xteer76

Given your focus on law breaking, drinking, sober parties.

This rule was presented in a way that means that a completely sober party would be breaking the rules too. Based on his words.
Seems like over-reaching by the school?

Do I think that a school shouldn't punish based on 'WHEN' something happened.

Yes, of course. Technicalities.

Once I've been returned to my parents' custody, I feel the school's interest in me stops.

At one point they suspended by parking spot and indicated that I couldn't drive to school.
Of course I could drive to school. They have no say over my driving license. I just parked around the corner.

If my parents allow me to go from their custody to a party - school's not involved. That's just my opinion anyway. Isn't there something concrete regarding when a school's influence over you begins and ends?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The year before my son graduated, a large number of students had a prom "after party" down the shore, staying in several homes that several parents rented for the weekend - specifically for that purpose. Lots of underage drinking, numerous arrests for same A lot of kids (a) lost scholarships and (b) didn't walk. They graduated, but were barred from the actual ceremony. Valedictorian & Salutatorian were replaced.

Oh, some parents were also charged with contributing to the deliquency of a minor for their part in the after parties. Our state allows a parent to provide THEIR underage child to consume alcohol, but not others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">