• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Independence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adam54

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.

Hello,

After receiving my third annual completely ridiculous FAFSA, I'm here to question if there is any way to be recognized as independent by the DOE without meeting their marriage/age/other requirements. I've lived on my own with minimal financial support from my parents for over a year now, filed my 2005 taxes as an independent, and yet still am told by the DOE to expect over $18,000 in family contributions to my education this year.

So I'm here to ask, considering that the IRS seems to have no problem recognizing my financial independence, is there some way to use that to convince the Department of Education that I am on my own, and cannot possibly expect anywhere near that amount of money from my family?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

GaAtty

You need to not have been claimed on your parents' atx returns for two years, or be in graduate school, as I understand it. Seems like you have one year to go. However, the Department of Education is not the only game in town for student loans. There are many banks (such as Key Bank) and other organizations that do private student loans. The interest rate may be higher, but it is better than nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">