• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with my son's college transcripts since leaving school after first semester.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lasvegasloan

My son attended a juco in New Mexico on a Basketball Scholarship for the 2012-2013 year as a Redshirt Freshman.

When the basketball coaching staff realized that several of their active players were not going to qualify to play
the second semester, my son was asked to come off redshirt and play. After he and I spoke with the coach,
he was informed that his scholarship would be rescinded if he did not come off redshirt and play the remaining
games left in the basketball season. My son would give up a whole year of playing even if he played one game.

My son came home for Christmas Break in Dec. 2012 and after weighing all his options, decided not to play. After
informing the Coach, his scholarship was pulled and he returned to school on Jan 13-15th to pick up his
belongings and return home. (He never attended any class for the second semester starting on Jan 15th.)

My son went to the necessary administrative staff to let them know he was leaving school and that he would not
be attending the classes for the second semester. The staff told him everything would be taken care of and he would
be removed off the class rolls for the second semester and was assured he would not have Withdrawals on his
transcripts since he never attended anyone of the classes as per the NCAA rules. You can not have WD's on your
transcripts and transfer the next semester/year.

In April 2013 a Div 1 basketball school coaching staff let my son know they wanted him to come and play and would be offering
him a scholarship. The Div 1 school coaches went through their own player vetting process and discovered my son's transcripts
were showing him as withdrawing from his classes the second semester vs never attending them. This is preventing the D1
school from offering him the scholarship right now.

We have been trying to get the juco to remove the Withdrawals, but no one has taken action for the last 4 weeks even
though we are in contact with the school weekly. They have only pass the buck so far.

My question....is a lawsuit the way to go if they don't remove the WD's and my son losses his scholarship offer (which is probably
valued at 100K+ over 4 years) from the D1 school?

D1 schools just can't wait very long on players with all the competition snapping up good players quickly.

OHRoadwarrior

Contrary to your assertion. Him advising the staff he would not be using the scholarship, does not necessarily relieve him from the obligation to follow withdraw procedures outlined in the manual. When his tuition processing did not go through in January, it appears they disenrolled him at that point. I don't know that he has anyone to blame but himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">