• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Professor lost my final exam and is now blaming me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adambaker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Last semester I enrolled in a course at my university. Headed into the final, I had an A. Shortly after grades were posted, I saw that I had received a failing grade in the course. I reached out to the professor by email to ask why I received a failing grade, as I felt confident in my performance on the exam. He emailed back and frankly stated I failed because I didn't take the final exam. I told him I did take the final exam, and to search his records. He emailed back and said he found no record of me taking the exam. I told him to check again, because I had taken the exam. He emailed back and said he could do no more checking and that he did not have the exam. He said that he had extra exams (exams which he had graded but could not assign to a student in the classroom), but none of them had my name on it. He referred me to the department chair.

I emailed the department chair and the first thing he emailed me was that the "conservative probability that the university lost my exam is 1 and 10 billion." The university has been open for less than 200 years, and based on the current student body, 10 billion exams will not have been administered by my university for another approximately 125,000 years. Effectively, he told me that they never lost exams, ever. He asked me to fill out a grade grievance and email it to him.

In the grade grievance, I specifically told him what the professor was wearing on the day of the final exam, the color of the exam sheet, where I was sitting in the room and what I was wearing, what time I arrived, and that there were several witnesses that could attest to me taking the exam. Shortly after submitting the grade grievance, he emailed a response that stated that he was denying my grade grievance and the decision was final. He said that the probability of them losing my exam was 1 and 10 billion. He also said that any information I stated could have been gathered from talking to students who took the exam, but at the same time faulted me for not bringing up details like any unusual noise in the room (which I could have also presumably gathered from talking to people who took the exam). On one hand he dismissed any information I provided, and on the other he faulted me for not providing information he thought was essential. He refused to meet with me or speak with me by phone, and never asked to speak with my witnesses. He also never followed-up with me after reading my grievance to ask questions, clarify and perhaps gather the information he thought was pertinent.

I have no tangible proof that I took the exam, no video, no pictures, nothing. I only have my memory of that day and a handful of witnesses, with whom he does not care to speak. I have a stellar A- cumulative GPA, and $50,000 in scholarships annually, and have never experienced a situation like this before.

It is my opinion that he dislikes me, and simply wanted me to fill out the grade grievance form so he could deny it and close the case. He works intimately with the professor involved and no one wants to take responsibility for this. Someone who wants to find the truth, ask questions and meets with people to hear their story. He did none of this. After being shocked by his report, I emailed him and ask to speak with him personally again. I received no response. I contacted the professor involved, and received no response. To date, I have sent them all several emails and received no response. I attempted to schedule meetings with them through an online scheduling system, and my scheduled meetings with them were denied. They refuse to speak with me.

I have a prestigious Wall Street internship this summer that could lead to a full-time offer. Now this internship is in jeopardy because my GPA has plummeted from an A- to a B average, which is below the required GPA. I am faced with a low GPA, loss of wages and potential lucrative full-time offer, and a tarnished reputation. I have a substantial scholarship, which I fear is also in jeopardy.

I really need help and I have no idea who I should turn to. The university's decision is that since they can't find the exam in their possession, despite having extra exams that they haven't assigned to a student, that that must mean I didn't take the exam. They have no other arguments except that they don't lose exams. I am trying to be as cooperative as possible and have gone out of my way to try to prove myself, but they refuse to listen. I need help and advice. Thank you for your time and consideration.

tranquility

I'm not sure this is a legal question. While you might be able to sue for negligence, with what you've said I don't see how you can win. Is there an appeals process at the school?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

Last semester I enrolled in a course at my university. Headed into the final, I had an A. Shortly after grades were posted, I saw that I had received a failing grade in the course. I reached out to the professor by email to ask why I received a failing grade, as I felt confident in my performance on the exam. He emailed back and frankly stated I failed because I didn't take the final exam. I told him I did take the final exam, and to search his records. He emailed back and said he found no record of me taking the exam. I told him to check again, because I had taken the exam. He emailed back and said he could do no more checking and that he did not have the exam. He said that he had extra exams (exams which he had graded but could not assign to a student in the classroom), but none of them had my name on it. He referred me to the department chair.

I emailed the department chair and the first thing he emailed me was that the "conservative probability that the university lost my exam is 1 and 10 billion." The university has been open for less than 200 years, and based on the current student body, 10 billion exams will not have been administered by my university for another approximately 125,000 years. Effectively, he told me that they never lost exams, ever. He asked me to fill out a grade grievance and email it to him.

In the grade grievance, I specifically told him what the professor was wearing on the day of the final exam, the color of the exam sheet, where I was sitting in the room and what I was wearing, what time I arrived, and that there were several witnesses that could attest to me taking the exam. Shortly after submitting the grade grievance, he emailed a response that stated that he was denying my grade grievance and the decision was final. He said that the probability of them losing my exam was 1 and 10 billion. He also said that any information I stated could have been gathered from talking to students who took the exam, but at the same time faulted me for not bringing up details like any unusual noise in the room (which I could have also presumably gathered from talking to people who took the exam). On one hand he dismissed any information I provided, and on the other he faulted me for not providing information he thought was essential. He refused to meet with me or speak with me by phone, and never asked to speak with my witnesses. He also never followed-up with me after reading my grievance to ask questions, clarify and perhaps gather the information he thought was pertinent.

I have no tangible proof that I took the exam, no video, no pictures, nothing. I only have my memory of that day and a handful of witnesses, with whom he does not care to speak. I have a stellar A- cumulative GPA, and $50,000 in scholarships annually, and have never experienced a situation like this before.

It is my opinion that he dislikes me, and simply wanted me to fill out the grade grievance form so he could deny it and close the case. He works intimately with the professor involved and no one wants to take responsibility for this. Someone who wants to find the truth, ask questions and meets with people to hear their story. He did none of this. After being shocked by his report, I emailed him and ask to speak with him personally again. I received no response. I contacted the professor involved, and received no response. To date, I have sent them all several emails and received no response. I attempted to schedule meetings with them through an online scheduling system, and my scheduled meetings with them were denied. They refuse to speak with me.

I have a prestigious Wall Street internship this summer that could lead to a full-time offer. Now this internship is in jeopardy because my GPA has plummeted from an A- to a B average, which is below the required GPA. I am faced with a low GPA, loss of wages and potential lucrative full-time offer, and a tarnished reputation. I have a substantial scholarship, which I fear is also in jeopardy.

I really need help and I have no idea who I should turn to. The university's decision is that since they can't find the exam in their possession, despite having extra exams that they haven't assigned to a student, that that must mean I didn't take the exam. They have no other arguments except that they don't lose exams. I am trying to be as cooperative as possible and have gone out of my way to try to prove myself, but they refuse to listen. I need help and advice. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Your GPA "plummeted" from an A- to a B? Your internship is in jeopardy because of a negligible drop of a GPA?

adambaker

Oh God, with these forums it appears like everyone just picks out one detail and attacks it. A GPA drop from an A- to a B is a serious deal. What would be a plummet to you? An A- to an F GPA? A 'B' average GPA in the highly competitive Wall St. internship process is typically an immediate disqualification. Most banks require a 3.5 GPA to even apply, and everyone who interviewed had between a 3.7-4.0 GPA. Over 400+ students applied for the sales/trading internship, 10 were selected for first round interviews, and 3 were brought back to NY for final interviews, where 2 were given offers. Yes. 2 out of 400 people. That's 0.5% success rate. So, yes a drop in a GPA average such as A- to a B is a serious deal.

No, there is no appeals process. Somebody please post that knows what they are talking about, God.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, let me ask you this.

In an ideal world, what would we be telling you to do? What law do you believe exists that will make this right?

For that matter, what is right, in your view? What do you believe the university should be doing, right now?

Those are actual questions. Without the answers to those questions I am not prepared to respond further.

quincy

... He said that he had extra exams (exams which he had graded but could not assign to a student in the classroom), but none of them had my name on it. He referred me to the department chair. ...

... The university's decision is that since they can't find the exam in their possession, despite having extra exams that they haven't assigned to a student, that that must mean I didn't take the exam. ...
It sounds to me as if you forgot to put your name on the exam. The professor cannot, however, just assign one of the extra, graded exams to you.

Have you asked to retake the exam? The professor might consider that a reasonable solution to the problem.

Dave1952

I've read this, both here and in another forum. I believe the OP. He took the exam and something happened to it. The alleged response that "the University never loses anything" is so funny.
What surprises me is that he claims to have witnesses and he expects them to be "investigated". That's not how life works. The OP must present them by bringing them to his hearings or by bringing written accounts, if written accounts are acceptable. No one is going to "investigate" for him.
If the OP has completed the various steps of the grievance process he may wish to consult with a lawyer but I'm afraid he's done. If he's still working his way through the grievance he must discover the appropriate way to present his witnesses.
He must also be prepared to retake the exam.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">