• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Professor using class time inapporiately.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ishara

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas-
I have a professor for my Anatomy and Physiology class, that shows up late to every class unprepared. Last Thursday he showed up an hour and a half late. Today he was on time to class, but would not let us enter classroom till 8:30. Thirty mintues late, while he as in the class room he performed his religious ceremony. This happens frequentlly. The religious thing bothers me, because it seems that this should be taken care of prior to class or after class. Do I have any recourse. Me and my fellow classmates have turned him into the dean, but to no avail.

FlyingRon

You can complain to the administration. You really don't have much legal grounds to take action however. You're not guaranteed any particular level of performance.

Ishara

I have complained to the admistration along with other students. The administration is still allowing this to happen. I pay to go to school and learn, not to be put aside because this gentleman decides he needs to perform his religious ceremony at that particular time. If he knew this would be an issue, then he should have selected to teach at a different time, or if that was not available then chose a different campus with a schedule that met his needs. Surely, there is something that can be done.

justalayman

Ishara;3069837]I have complained to the admistration along with other students. The administration is still allowing this to happen.
then there is your answer.

I pay to go to school and learn, not to be put aside because this gentleman decides he needs to perform his religious ceremony at that particular time.
were you at school? Yes. Does the instructor control the class? yes. Do you have to agree with what the instructor chooses to do? no.

Surely, there is something that can be done.
yes. you can withdraw from the class and find a professor more to your liking.

Ishara

Really? Hmmm and people wonder why public colleges/schools suck. No withdrawing is not going to happen. I paid for this class out of pocket, and it is beyond the withdrawal date. I will make sure that I never attend this school for anything again. Thanks for you replies.

RRevak

Really? Hmmm and people wonder why public colleges/schools suck. No withdrawing is not going to happen. I paid for this class out of pocket, and it is beyond the withdrawal date. I will make sure that I never attend this school for anything again. Thanks for you replies.
At what point in the class are you in? Mid, beginning, endish? What is your current grade in the class? Is this class necessary for your major or is it simply an elective? Who exactly in administration have you complained to?

Ishara

I am about 1/3 of the way through the course. Currently carrying an A. This is needed for me to continue on to microbiology, and to my degree. I am just upset because I chose an 11 week class versus a six week class over the summer, so I won't be have to cram, and memorize. I truly like learning the material, and this prof. has just made it so it is all memorization just to be able to pass his class.

Ishara

Oh we have complained to the Dean of Sciences, so far. Tomorrow I will be trying the Dean of the college.

ecmst12

Anatomy is a big memorization class any way you slice it. Welcome to college - the professor is not necessarily responsible for teaching you, you have to learn on your own quite a lot of the time.

Ishara

Anatomy is a big memorization class any way you slice it. Welcome to college - the professor is not necessarily responsible for teaching you, you have to learn on your own quite a lot of the time.
I am not complaining about having to study and learn this on my own. THIS IS NOT I REPEAT NOT ABOUT RATHER THE PROFESSOR IS TEACHING OR NOT! It is about him using my time to perform his religious ceremonies while class should be in session. I paid for 4 hours a day, and I expect that prof. to sit there on his thumbs if need be, while we do our work, and answer questions we may have. He has already proven he can't teach. He main goal is becoming a Rabbi, which is fine, but do it on your own time. You know what nevermind I will contact some idiotic group and tell them my rights are being trampled on and I am offended by having to deal with his religion. Which is not true, but if that is what it takes to get him in that classroom, and not wasting my money on binding himself up with blackboxes so be it !

justalayman

It is about him using my time to perform his religious ceremonies while class should be in session. I paid for 4 hours a day, and I expect that prof. to sit there on his thumbs if need be, while we do our work, and answer questions we may have.
You must be a first year student.

You paid to be able to attend the class. The prof was hired to run the class. If he wants to excuse you after being there for 10 minutes, it is within his discretion. If he wants you to sit there and do nothing for the 4 hours, it is within his discretion.

and do your work in class? You are in for a big surprise as you progress through college. Many many courses are simply lecture where you listen and watch the prof. Then you go on about your day and do the work listed in the syllabus. You got questions? You either as a TA or schedule an appointment with the prof. Heck, I have a friend that attended a class with 1100 other students. Most got to watch the prof on a video screen because they were actually in other rooms. You did not ask questions.

ecmst12

There is no "idiotic group" you can cancel and your rights are not being trampled on.

You paid for the credits that this class will give you, and when you complete the class and get your grade, you will get those credits.

Ishara

No, not a first year student -sighs-. I do the work in the class because he doesn't lecture, he hands us a paper of what he wants done. I would prefer that he lectures or does something than just give an outline of each chapter, and say there you go. Like I said the man doesn't teach. I do alot of work outside the class, tutoring, going to the libary, hitting up my biology teacher for help to be able to get the A I have currently. There is notthing wrong with me doing that, but understand that this is by no means a teacher, literally he is there for a paycheck. Maybe, I have no reason to be upset, but I have never been treated as I don't exsist. This is what he says when he hands us the outline, "The students should know this." Yeah he has great ppl skills. I am blown away by the fact this gentleman wants to become a rabbi. His lack of caring for anything but himself is astounding. I will drive another 50 miles away to go to another college. Last semester my govt teacher stopped showing up. If this is the best that this college can get, it is not the place for me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Two lessons you have evidently not learned yet:

1.) You do not get to decide how the professor teaches. It is his job to present the material in the way that he feels appropriate. It is your job to learn it. If the way he feels appropriate is not the way you want to be taught, fine. Next term sign up for a course where the professor will teach you in the way you like. That is your option - not to take legal action to force the professor to do it your way. He is the teacher. You are the student. Guess which one of you is in charge? (HINT - it isn't you)

2.) Information that you learn on your own stays with you a lot longer than information that you learn by rote and parrot back. Which may explain why your professor thinks it appropriate for YOU to study and learn it on your own. Ya think?

justalayman

Maybe, I have no reason to be upset, but I have never been treated as I don't exsist.
I'm not saying you don't have some reason to be upset but you also need to realize, unless the school wants to do something about it, you just have no recourse.

as to never have been treated like you don't exist;

don't get married. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">